Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I am hoping to hear from any Brazilian's who have applied or have had success with Partner visa 820/801 and needed to get Brazilian Police clearances.

I'm Australian and my husband is Brazilian and we applied for the 820/801 in May 2018 and are now in the waiting room...

We have had 4 requests for Brazilian Police Clearance.

In response to the first request, we mis-read the information on the immi website and provided the Certidao de Antecedentes Criminais - Federal police check (with translation to English).

On the second request, we provided the correct documents (with translation):

Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais' and
'Certidao de Distribuçao'

On the third request, we wrote a letter to the department advising that we had previously provided the documents, and asked if they could confirm if they had been received. (We could only see that they have a green tick and have been received by the system on our immi account).

We received no response. We have since received a fourth request, as follows:

Police clearance certificates (Brazilian Police Clearance certificate accordance to immigration website)
Please see the below website for further information how to obtain the correct Brazilian police certificate
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/hel...fices-and-locations/offices-outside-australia

I called the department to ask again if they had received the certificates that we uploaded okay, and if they were correct. The advisor said he couldn't tell me, and they we just have to do it again. I also asked why, as according to the department website, they consider police checks valid for 12 months, but there was no explanation.

We don't have an issue repeating the task, but our concern is that we are not providing the right documents, despite following the instructions from the department website.

Does anyone have any insight or clues as to what we might be doing wrong?

Many thanks for any advice or input :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
You husband will need a:
1 - 'Certidao Negativa' or 'Certidao de Distribuçao'
2 - 'Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais' or 'Declaraçao'

If you were a PR / temporary resident, then you too would require the above. If you were a tourist in Brazil, then you would just need:

1 - 'Certidao de Antecedentes Criminais'

Is that your understanding too?

Are the relevant police checks within 12 months validity?

Have they been translated by a recognised person/organisation? E.g. we used a NAATI-certified translator for all our docos that needed translations provided.

Any other clues in the request for information?

--

It is quite possible that the DHA CO is making a mistake, we were asked for evidence of Functional English proof multiple times despite providing the required information. As there are multiple ways to show proof of Functional English, we suspect the two COs who contacted us were only familiar with some of the ways, not all.

In the end we provided a statutory declaration confirming we have indeed provided what was asked on X date according to requirements and instructions in the request for information and DHA website, in addition to submitting a 'suggestion' via the DHA website suggesting UI improvements to Immiaccount so as to prevent multiple requests for information already provided - we got our grant a week later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Prettylsotonic

You husband will need a:
1 - 'Certidao Negativa' or 'Certidao de Distribuçao'
2 - 'Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais' or 'Declaraçao'
Yes - that is what we understood, and provided the two documents with NAATI certified translations.

If you were a PR / temporary resident, then you too would require the above. If you were a tourist in Brazil, then you would just need:

1 - 'Certidao de Antecedentes Criminais'

Is that your understanding too?
Yes - that is my understanding, although I have not been to Brazil (yet!)

Are the relevant police checks within 12 months validity?
This was a good question! We thought they were still valid... the department website says they consider police checks valid for 12 months from date of issue, however, your question prompted me to read the translations again - the certificates are only valid for 90 days! And so, this resolves my query.

Have they been translated by a recognised person/organisation? E.g. we used a NAATI-certified translator for all our docos that needed translations provided.
Yes, as stated.

Any other clues in the request for information?
No, hence the reason for this post.

--

It is quite possible that the DHA CO is making a mistake, we were asked for evidence of Functional English proof multiple times despite providing the required information. As there are multiple ways to show proof of Functional English, we suspect the two COs who contacted us were only familiar with some of the ways, not all.

In the end we provided a statutory declaration confirming we have indeed provided what was asked on X date according to requirements and instructions in the request for information and DHA website, in addition to submitting a 'suggestion' via the DHA website suggesting UI improvements to Immiaccount so as to prevent multiple requests for information already provided - we got our grant a week later.
This is a good suggestion that I will keep in mind for future. Mods - please feel free to close this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually it'd be great if you came back and updated us, if that worked or if DHA was still insisting you are missing something.

I recall other PCCs indicating a validity (e.g. 3 months / 6 months) - but DHA accepting them as long as 12 months hadn't passed yet, so that may not be the issue.

All the best though :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it'd be great if you came back and updated us, if that worked or if DHA was still insisting you are missing something.

I recall other PCCs indicating a validity (e.g. 3 months / 6 months) - but DHA accepting them as long as 12 months hadn't passed yet, so that may not be the issue.

All the best though :)
Thank for your sage advice and kind words PrettyIsotonic, I will certainly report back with the outcome :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.