Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fiancé received his PMV 300 and the date of first entry is a few months before the end of his lease and ideally he would obviously like to move over ASAP. Has anyone dealt with breaking a lease in Missouri or the US before before immigrating? Or possibly have any ideas. Worst case scenario we can just pay out the lease but that's a pretty big chunk of money. Advice appreciated!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I did. Offered to pay through the last few months but wanted to clean it early. I was on good terms with the management company so they told me they could just rent it out to someone else and I was off the hook as soon as they had a tenant. Took a week or so for someone to sign so I actually got rent money back for the month I paid and didn't have to pay the last few months left.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did. Offered to pay through the last few months but wanted to clean it early. I was on good terms with the management company so they told me they could just rent it out to someone else and I was off the hook as soon as they had a tenant. Took a week or so for someone to sign so I actually got rent money back for the month I paid and didn't have to pay the last few months left.
Oh thats great to know! Thanks. Subletting was our first idea. Unfortunately the office is closed until next week due to the holidays but hopefully seeing as he's been with them for 6 years they might be willing to rerent it so we're not on the hook for the full 6 months rent.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think honesty is the best policy. Speak with your landlord, maybe he/she will understand your situation and not hold your partner to the remainder of the lease. Given the longstanding history, it's quite possible.

The worst that could happen is they say no and you essentially pay to not live there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.