Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently applied and was granted a BVB to travel outside Australia for a holiday while waiting for my 820/801 to be processed. I wanted to share my experience with others and assuage some potential concerns, since there seems to be very little current info about BVBs online.

I have a 3-month trip planned around South America, meeting up with my parents for various legs of the trip and also travelling with my partner for the last month. I was concerned that taking a holiday might not be considered a "substantial reason" to travel, but thankfully it was-- I was granted a 4-month travel period with multiple entries.

As evidence, I uploaded a colour scan of my passport, a summary of my travel plans, and copies of mine, my parents’, and my partner’s flights to South America, plus a few assorted bookings with all of our names (e.g. internal flights, tour reservations). The summary of travel plans included a letter to Home Affairs about the reason for the trip (seeing my parents and celebrating the completion of my PhD) and the exact dates I was with my parents and with my partner.

I applied on a Friday afternoon 5 weeks before my trip and received the BVB grant via email the following Monday morning (3 days later).

At least it's comforting to know that the application is relatively simple, processing time appears to be rather quick, and a holiday/travel is considered a "substantial reason" to travel!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, it certainly seems that way! I had already mentally prepared for a long wait, so it was a wonderful surprise to receive the BVB so quickly. Hopefully the same will be true for others!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, it certainly seems that way! I had already mentally prepared for a long wait, so it was a wonderful surprise to receive the BVB so quickly. Hopefully the same will be true for others!
Thank you so much for posting your story. We are just about to apply for a BVB for an extended holiday and are quite worried about it. If you don't mind me asking, you had booked a lot already so what would you have done if the BVB was denied?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind me asking, you had booked a lot already so what would you have done if the BVB was denied?
I didn't really consider the possibility of the BVB being denied very seriously, but I think I would have appealed the decision somehow. As you said, I had already booked almost everything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.