Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My partner applied for Subclass 820 seven months ago and we are planning on going overseas to have our wedding there. We fly out on 7th of July and return 14th of September. Do we need to update anything on our immi account and when should she apply for the Bridging Visa B?

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm interested to know what others think, as I am currently about to lodge my 820 application and have an international cruise booked later this year. Our immigration agent didn't even mention I needed a BVB to travel which is a little concerning! I have read online that you should only apply for the BVB 2 - 3 weeks prior to travel.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Reactions: swaanderling

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I mentioned, I'm about to lodge my 820 application. :) I have not lodged it yet, so haven't received any paperwork and definitely not a BVA. I'll be sure to read it all very carefully once I receive the grant letter.

I'm an NZ citizen, so sitting on a 444 visa currently. Not sure how the BVA interacts with the 444, however my migration agent mentioned that if I return on my 444 - my 820 visa will be cancelled? Very confusing.

Thank you for the link! Much appreciated. I'll have a read through.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
A BVA comes into effect when the current substantive visa held expires, so in the case of a 444, the BVA sits in the background unused as the 444 remains in effect whilst you remain in Australia.

If you travel and return on a 444 before your 820 is granted there is nothing ‘to cancel’; if you travel after your 820 is granted then you cannot be issued a 444 at immigration clearance on your return, so again, no cancellation of your 820.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You also need to update your address when you leave and when you return. Keep in mind that the travel facility of the BVB starts on the day it is granted, not on the day you depart, so don’t apply too early and make sure the BVB will cover the entire period you’re going to be overseas. Allow for delays and don’t return on the very last day.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
From the DHA website: "If you leave Australia and re-enter on a New Zealand passport, you must let immigration officers at the border know that you hold a temporary Partner visa. If you do not do this, you might be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and you will not be eligible for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801)".

I'd have to read up on the actual legislation to make any sensible comment.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Bridging visa summary
Date of application 18 May 2018
Type Bridging B visa
Status Not Active
Name xxxxx
Date of birth xxxx
Active after Work and Holiday (Temporary) ends on 28 May 2018
Arrive by 21 November 2018
Travel Multiple entries