Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

My partner and I were working on our application last night and we some how got on to the topic of bridging visas.

Now, from what I read (and sort of understand) if we were to apply on shore for the partner visa, we would be granted a bridging visa because of my already existing visitor visa. We don't plan on doing that, but is that correct to assume?

Now, if the above is correct, can the same be said for applying offshore? So, when we lodge our 309 application, because of my existing visa, will I then be given a bridging visa as well? We don't plan on using it, but I'm kind of curious to find out.

Thanks!

Edit: For clarification, we are exploring all options as my partners visa in Canada expires in April of 2018.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Now, from what I read (and sort of understand) if we were to apply on shore for the partner visa, we would be granted a bridging visa because of my already existing visitor visa. We don't plan on doing that, but is that correct to assume?
Yes.
Now, if the above is correct, can the same be said for applying offshore? So, when we lodge our 309 application, because of my existing visa, will I then be given a bridging visa as well?
No.

Offshore visa applications don't come with a bridging visa. The purpose of a BV is so you can have legal status onshore while your application for a substantive visa is processed. They act as a bridge between an expired substantive visa and another substantive visa that has been applied for, but not yet decided.

If you apply offshore, you're not onshore on a substantive visa, so there is nothing to bridge from. You can certainly visit on a visitor visa or ETA, but offshore applications do not get a BV.

Hope that clarifies things.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

No.

Offshore visa applications don't come with a bridging visa. The purpose of a BV is so you can have legal status onshore while your application for a substantive visa is processed. They act as a bridge between an expired substantive visa and another substantive visa that has been applied for, but not yet decided.

If you apply offshore, you're not onshore on a substantive visa, so there is nothing to bridge from. You can certainly visit on a visitor visa or ETA, but offshore applications do not get a BV.

Hope that clarifies things.
That is perfect, thanks! We figured it wouldn't be the same as applying onshore, but I had to ask. Worse case scenario is my partner applies for a visitor visa once her's has run it's course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.