Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm an Aus citizen, my wife is planning to apply for a partner visa while in Australia. She will be entering Australia on a multi-entry tourist visa and we'll then apply for her partner visa.

My question is;

a) As she is entering on a multi - entry ( 3 month at a time) tourist visa, will she be eligible to directly transfer onto the bridging visa? This would be the first entry on the visa and there is no 'No further stay' condition on the tourist visa. To further complicate the matter, she is pregnant. So I'm not sure if that changes the eligibility?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
The BVA will be granted immediately after applying for the partner visa but it will not go into effect until her 3 month stay expires. So she'll need to enter, apply for the partner visa, and remain onshore until the 3 month stay period ends and then the BVA will kick in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! So then if she were issued the BVA on application, but left Australia on the tourist visa ( before the BVA kicked in) what would occur?

Also, with the BVA granted ( but still not effective) is she able to apply for her medicare card?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
She would have to reenter Australia and the 3 month stay resets. I'm not sure how immigration would feel about her being a "tourist" though if she has a partner visa in queue as she obviously won't be entering as a tourist or planning to leave.

I'm no expert though. I personally wouldn't risk it and wouldn't apply for the partner visa onshore unless I knew I'd be staying until the BVA kicked in. Some others may chime in with a different opinion.

She's eligible for Medicare once the partner visa has been applied for. She doesn't need to be on the BVA. She only needs a passport, the Acknowledgment of Application Received letter from immigration stating she's applied for the 820/801, and proof she's on a valid visa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again SkyBlue Brewer!

Wow, that's interesting about the Medicare eligibility! I was under the impress that she had to get the BVA first. So I wonder then if applying for the offshore partner visa 309 ( I think) would she also be eligible for medicare immediately as well?

(Although I suppose the drawback with the offshore application is that she cannot enter Aus until the temp visa is granted?)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yes, one is eligible for Medicare once either the 309/100 or 820/801 application has been made. But with the 309/100, she would need to be onshore to apply for Medicare.

She could enter Oz on another visa, like a tourist visa, while waiting for the 309 to be granted. She would need to go offshore again for the grant though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great!

I just noticed on her tourist visa that there's a 8602 condition: no public health debt. I guess this would mean she cannot legally use the medicare card until the Bridging visa has come into effect? As when it comes into effect the Tourist visa would be invalid?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That would be a question for an RMA, perhaps try the Ask Mark! thread.

My understanding is that debt would be unpaid outstanding costs which is not the same as paying for the services as they are due, but that is just an opinion of some random person on the internet. Don't take it as advice.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I agree with Sky and think of it in the same way as a debt to the Commonwealth.

Once you have Medicare your due fees are very small or nil, so it is hard to then have a debt.

If you were here on another visa (say student) let health insurance lapse and got sick with say melioidosis (would not wish it on my worst enemy).

You will still be treated by Australian hospitals but you would have a very large bill - with the treatment I had I expect well over $100,000. You would then eventually get an invoice for this amount.

If you then tried to apply for a Partner Visa it would be problematic.

But if you were to get Medicare then get melioidosis, you would not get an invoice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.