Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My parents aged 69(Dad) and 65(Mom) are currently visiting me in Australia on a tourist visa. We are in the process of applying for the 804 Visa for Aged Parents and it is my understanding that they will be given a bridging visa that allows them to remain here until the outcome of their 804 visa application.

Given the above circumstances, as they are not from a Reciprocal Healthcare region and are ineligible for Medicare what type of insurance cover are they able to apply for? I have done some research online and can see that whilst there are a lot of insurance companies offering cover for overseas visitors that are working/non-working, there seems to be little to no information on health insurance covers specifically for applicants on a bridging visa waiting to transition into 804 Visa class.

Some of the insurers seem to have a list of eligible visa so it's clear, however others are ambiguous and seem to be ready to offer cover under the broad label of OVHC. I just want to be sure as we don't want any issues come claim time or during any health emergencies.

In relation to the scope of cover, we are predominantly looking for a health insurance policy that covers any medical expenses incurred. So, non-restrictive or uncapped limits on yearly benefits, private/public hospital cover for major surgeries like heart, kidney, gall bladder, etc would be key elements we would be looking at.

Has anyone applied for any such insurance cover for their aged parents whilst on a bridging visa? Would really appreciate if you are able to share your experience and offer any guidance on the matter.

Thanks for reading this far :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.