Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Came across this forum in my visa search and noticed it seemed really helpful so I'm hoping someone here can help with my situation

I met my partner while she was travelling australia and we've been dating for about 2yrs.
For about the first yr we did multiple trips to each other's country's and kept in constant daily contact, she then moved to aus and lived with me for 6 months (while applying for her aus nursing licence, thinking she would be able to obtain a sponsor nursing job) the application took to long, and after 6 months due to a lack of funds she had to go back to Canada (nursing licence has now been approved) 1 month later i then made the move to Canada to be with her for the next 9 months. We have now lived together for 15 months and been together for a total of 2yrs.

Weve now decided that we want to apply for visa 820 so she can move back to aus and work freely. Part of that decision included me coming back to aus early. The reason was, financially we weren't going to be able to save the required $$$ for the move, Visa, rent,bills etc. So, I've come back to aus and living with my parents temporarily, she is doing the same to save as much as we can to make this next step.

I dont think we will have any problems with the visa as we have all the necessary proof, although we have had some time apart which I think can be expected.

My issue is, because of finances we had planned for her to arrive, apply for 801 immediately and then start looking for work. We've budgeted for her to have enough money to afford the first months expenses as by then she would have found work and then the long wait begins.

After speaking to immigration again, they advised today that the bridging visa won't kick in until after the 3 month eta has expired. So she won't be able to work for the first 3 months.
I've spoken to them multiple times and no one has ever mentioned that, I had even been told that the bridging A will override the eta. Yet today I'm told that we need to wait for the eta to expire before the BVA will begin.

Is this correct??

If so what do people do in this situation??

It's ridiculous if she can't work for 3 months. This will just extend our time apart and cause questions with immigration.

Sorry if i rambled abit here. Alittle confused and frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
No way out of not working for 3 months without risk/s

Most people just wait the 3 months. But there are 2 options around it.

Just keep in mind that many can not get an eta or even a Visitor Visa and must apply offshore and often apart.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hi guys,
Came across this forum in my visa search and noticed it seemed really helpful so I'm hoping someone here can help with my situation

I met my partner while she was travelling australia and we've been dating for about 2yrs.
For about the first yr we did multiple trips to each other's country's and kept in constant daily contact, she then moved to aus and lived with me for 6 months (while applying for her aus nursing licence, thinking she would be able to obtain a sponsor nursing job) the application took to long, and after 6 months due to a lack of funds she had to go back to Canada (nursing licence has now been approved) 1 month later i then made the move to Canada to be with her for the next 9 months. We have now lived together for 15 months and been together for a total of 2yrs.

Weve now decided that we want to apply for visa 820 so she can move back to aus and work freely. Part of that decision included me coming back to aus early. The reason was, financially we weren't going to be able to save the required $$$ for the move, Visa, rent,bills etc. So, I've come back to aus and living with my parents temporarily, she is doing the same to save as much as we can to make this next step.

I dont think we will have any problems with the visa as we have all the necessary proof, although we have had some time apart which I think can be expected.

My issue is, because of finances we had planned for her to arrive, apply for 801 immediately and then start looking for work. We've budgeted for her to have enough money to afford the first months expenses as by then she would have found work and then the long wait begins.

After speaking to immigration again, they advised today that the bridging visa won't kick in until after the 3 month eta has expired. So she won't be able to work for the first 3 months.
I've spoken to them multiple times and no one has ever mentioned that, I had even been told that the bridging A will override the eta. Yet today I'm told that we need to wait for the eta to expire before the BVA will begin.

Is this correct??

If so what do people do in this situation??

It's ridiculous if she can't work for 3 months. This will just extend our time apart and cause questions with immigration.

Sorry if i rambled abit here. Alittle confused and frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any help
The BVA will not override the ETA. It is meant to bridge between one visa ending and the decision on the next visa.

The exact wording on my BVA grant notice after applying for the 820/801:

"About your bridging visa: This bridging visa is not in effect because your [current] visa is currently in effect. If your [current] visa is cancelled, you should contact the department immediately. Your Bridging visa may not come into effect and will not allow you to remain lawfully in Australia."

So the BVA goes into effect when the 3 month stay period on the ETA expires. What do people do? They wait until the BVA goes into effect and then they can work. To try and work on the ETA could cause cancellation of the ETA and also the BVA.

They already allow a partner visa to be made onshore, give free access to Medicare, allow your partner to work and study, and all while waiting for a decision on the visa. I think that's a pretty good deal.

There are people who don't have the luxury of applying onshore (high risk countries with no ETA option and visitor visas come with NFS condition that do not allow onshore applications) who often have children together and have to spend often times over a year or more apart from each other, making expensive visits between countries.

The 3 months will fly by. The time it'll take your partner to settle in, apply for the visa (could take weeks to get everything in if you don't have it all ready by the time she gets here already), get sorted with government stuff (Medicare, licence, TFN, etc), and the stay period will be over before you know it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.