Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I'm an Australian citizen who has been living in America for 2 years. My partner and I have been living together for around 6months on a lease and before that he just stayed over every night. I have just found out I'm pregnant (14 weeks) which puts more of a rush on the whole situation.

I want to have the baby in Australia around my family and obviously I'd like my love to be there. We're looking into the Defacto and partner visas. Its important that he be able to work there. Do you have any advice...I'm just starting my research. Which one is faster? Which would work best in our circumstance?

Last complication is that my partner had a 16month felony conviction 10years ago for drug trafficking. He served 9months and was released 2 years early from parole. He's since been a model citizen. Would this count us out? I'm so unsure where to go from here!

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
There's a few things I'd suggest you need to consider and that's:
1. Get some medical advice re flying while pregnant.
2. It is unlikely that he will be able to get a partner visa in time to get to Australia in time for the birth if you do fly back, an FBI check for starters taking possibly three months.

But more importantly, based on that 16 month felony conviction, it would seem that he will fail the character test and you can see the criteria for that on Fact Sheet 79 @ Character Requirement - Applications & Forms

All immigration regulations are set by legislation and I doubt you would have much chance of getting that waived.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.