Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been with my Girlfriend for 7 years with 2 of those in Australia and the remaining 5 in the UK. We've decided that we want to move to Australia permanently and we were planning on going across with me on a tourist visa and applying for the de facto visa whilst over there as this is what some friends of ours did. Is this the correct way to go about it?

I'd read that tourist visas have a "no further stay" condition which prevents you applying for a permanent visa so I was a bit unsure how our friends did it with that condition? Or is it a case of your applying for a bridging visa which is allowed, then you're applying for a permanent one?

Cheers

· Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Hi all,

Been with my Girlfriend for 7 years with 2 of those in Australia and the remaining 5 in the UK. We've decided that we want to move to Australia permanently and we were planning on going across with me on a tourist visa and applying for the de facto visa whilst over there as this is what some friends of ours did. Is this the correct way to go about it?

I'd read that tourist visas have a "no further stay" condition which prevents you applying for a permanent visa so I was a bit unsure how our friends did it with that condition? Or is it a case of your applying for a bridging visa which is allowed, then you're applying for a permanent one?

Cheers
You have this mixed up … based on your username ‘flag’ and your comments, you are on a U.K. passport. An eVisitor visa (available to U.K. passport holders) does not have a ‘no further stay’ condition. There is no “correct” way to do this … the best strategy will depend on your circumstances.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers
As Paul already said, it is unlikely that you will have a no further stay condition on your tourist visa, if you're a british citizen. I have done exactly what you're describing back in 2012 and am bout to do it again... arrived on tourist visa and applied for 820 onshore... my last one was granted within 4 months.... I am hoping for a similarly fast turn around again this time around... we'll see.. I will be submitting my application at the end of February and have arrived in OZ just over a week ago

· Registered
22 Posts
Applying for a tourist visa with the intention of applying for a permanent visa while in Australia is not a recommended approach and may be viewed as visa fraud by immigration authorities. The "no further stay" condition on a tourist visa means that you are not allowed to apply for any other type of visa while in Australia.
If you are planning to move to Australia permanently with your partner, it is best to apply for the appropriate visa before you travel. One option is the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), which is a temporary visa that allows you to live in Australia while your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100 or 801) is processed.
It is important to note that the application process for the Partner visa can be complex and time-consuming, so it is recommended that you seek the advice of a migration agent or lawyer to assist you in preparing and lodging your application.

· Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Applying for a tourist visa with the intention of applying for a permanent visa while in Australia is not a recommended approach and may be viewed as visa fraud by immigration authorities. The "no further stay" condition on a tourist visa means that you are not allowed to apply for any other type of visa while in Australia.
Gen Guide H in Department policy has a different approach. Most visitor visas will not have an 8503 condition.
You should put your personal MARN in your signature to identify yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts