Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a British citizen married to an Australian and we have a son together who is 4 months and recently obtained Australian citizenship.

I was granted a tourist visa, but want to be absolutely sure on what I can do on it. As you may notice, it does not have the 'no further stay' condition on it, so I'm assuming that means I can make a visa application for a partner visa nearing the end of my trip? I have a return ticket home, but it would be so much more useful to be able to stay.

Stay Period 6 month(s) from the date of each arrival
Travel Facility Multiple
Visa Conditions 8101 - NO WORK
8201 - MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY

So, will I be able to apply for a temp. partner visa nearing the end of my trip in Australia, and acquire a bridging visa?

Also, what is the financial requirement for the partner visa. I work full time and can bring my work overseas (though my employer will not allow me this time as I am on a tourist visa), but my husband does not work as he takes care of our baby. Will he need to get a job to sponsor me, or will my job be good enough?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Unlike the UK there is no "financial requirement" for couples. Your husband simply agrees to take care of you until you get your PR. My partner and I received our partner visa without supplying any information about earning potential or the fact I had a job (I was sponsoring him).

Yes you can apply for a spouse visa whilst here on a visitor visa providing you have no "no further stay" condition attached, which from the above details you don't. When you apply you will be granted a bridging visa a which will lay dormant until your visitor visa ends. Once it ends you will have full work rights.

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Engaus and thanks for replying so soon.

Congrats on your visa!! :)

May I ask what evidence you provided them with? I read through the guidelines and it seemed quite intent on financial backing, but I've also read that they care more about the relationship being genuine than anything else. My husband and I have been together since 2009 and got married this May, a month after our son was born - we have joint accounts, and we've co-rented a place before (no longer), but that is about it with joint assets. It would be valuable to know what kind of evidence you provided.

Also, with your medical checks and police checks, how did you go about this?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.