Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. :)
i am 44 and an international student from canada, and completing a cert iv in massage therapy. i need advice... what are my chances of becoming an aussie citizen and how would i go about that? also can anyone please clarify what the differences are for:

non-resident,
resident,
permanent resident (pr),
australian citizen

as i understand it, i may only need a cert iv to be eligible for a working sponsorship, and if i achieve working sponsorship for 2 yrs, i can possibly apply for pr? to become citizen would only be a matter of time spent in the country, then applying for citizenship? is this correct?

thank you. :)

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
non-resident and resident: This often refers to your tax status in Australia and has no bearing on visa status. ie: You can be a non resident Australian Citizen in some cases

permanent resident (pr) is the holder of a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia permanently. You need to apply for this and be granted it.

australian citizen this can be applied for 12 months after getting Permanent Resident Status AND having been in Australia for FOUR years on a Valid Visa.. There are restrictions on being out of the country.
Australian Citizenship Residence Requirements » ABCDiamond Australia

Reactions: PMcan

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
It's possible, but it's a complex process and not everyone can qualify or is successful.

Massage Therapist is on the CSOL so you'd need to find an employer to sponsor you (it's eligible for state sponsorship but only South Australia is sponsoring and it's on the supplementary occupation list which adds much more difficult criteria).

If you find an employer who is able and willing to sponsor you (not all can), you'd still need to meet the requirements for the occupation. I don't know that a Cert IV with no working experience would qualify you. The employer may also need to demonstrate that they couldn't find a qualified Australian or PR or the role vs. hiring you.

Lastly, you'd need to hope your employer was then willing to sponsor you for a PR visa before you reach the cut-off age of 50.

If you want to pursue this, I'd suggest you speak with a migration agent to see what your options may be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, :)
Lariat33,
JandE,
Maggie-May24

i will be looking for a migration agent.

does anyone have advice on what to look for in an agent?
are there certifications that are needed to ensure that the agent is giving sound advice, such as, perhaps being registered with the government?

and also what's the going rate for their services?

thanks, any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Make sure they are registered with OMARA (see link in JandE's post) as you can then be assured they have at least got some recognised credentials. There are several migration agents who post regularly on this forum, who all know their stuff and would be able to give you a clear picture of what options you may have. Look for usernames CCMS, Jeremy Hooper, WRussell and Mark Northam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.