Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post. I have a small question. Is it possible to own a small scale sole owner IT business (which I'm hoping to do when I'm free) under my name while I work for a different reputed IT company?

Is it against the Australian company low? and if my current employer get to know about it later will they be able to file a case on myself? No I'm not targeting the same clients or neither competing with same products of my existing company.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post. I have a small question. Is it possible to own a small scale sole owner IT business (which I'm hoping to do when I'm free) under my name while I work for a different reputed IT company?

Is it against the Australian company low? and if my current employer get to know about it later will they be able to file a case on myself? No I'm not targeting the same clients or neither competing with same products of my existing company.
I'd doubt that there is anything in Australian Company Law that prevents you from having a sole proprietor business and you'll just need to do the usual things like register with appropriate authorities, ASC , the ATO re Taxation No. and an ABN if required.
You may find that whatever state you're in will have a state governement department covering small businesses too, more for assistance and a nominal small registration fee if applicable.

As for what your employer may think/do, that'll be up to them but if you keep it totally separate from your employment and are not spending their time on it you should be OK.
If it is a line of business that could compliment what they're doing, they might even be interested more on a positive note and perhaps there could be something in it for you in regard to whether they wanted to expand into that area.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No, it’s not possible that doing work for a company and side by side for your own company. It’s rule for every employee. But you can do savings for your business and do all the formalities related to that. After when you are able to start your own business then you can just resign. :)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
No, it's not possible that doing work for a company and side by side for your own company. It's rule for every employee. But you can do savings for your business and do all the formalities related to that. After when you are able to start your own business then you can just resign. :)
And where do you get that impression from for many people do work at more than one job and having a second job could be running your own business.
There is no law against having more than one job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It depends on your appointment terms with your current employer. Many companies explicitly mention while you are engaged with them you can not do any profit making business or job.

Unless you are a freelancer, you can not take up other jobs or business while being employed with an IT company. so go through your offer letter thoroughly then you can give a thought.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It depends on your appointment terms with your current employer. Many companies explicitly mention while you are engaged with them you can not do any profit making business or job.

Unless you are a freelancer, you can not take up other jobs or business while being employed with an IT company. so go through your offer letter thoroughly then you can give a thought.

Thanks
I kind of covered that earlier and your generalisation
Unless you are a freelancer, you can not take up other jobs or business while being employed with an IT company.
undermines your opening line.

It will certainly depend on your conditions of employment with an employer but there is no law against a person doing their own thing outside of employment, be it with an IT company or not.

As I've also said earlier what conditions your employer has is going to very much be dependent on how they view other work activities of employees.

Obviously if you are working in a high tech area of IT, an employer will likely have restrictions on what they want you to be doing elsewhere and in fact for anything that is patented, that does place restrictions by law on the product/process/technology patented.

·
Registered
685 Posts
No, it's not possible that doing work for a company and side by side for your own company. It's rule for every employee
Not true... Depends on your employer. However, since practically nobody can prevent you from having a second job, nobody can stop you from doing some extra money onsite providing you are not acting against your company business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

At the begining I think that you can keep your job, but once your business increase you will have to give much more attention to it and you will have meny more things to do in order to have a profitable business. Then it will be more and more harder to keep your job.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hello,

you need to look at your employment contract with the reputed IT company if it disallows undertaking any other occupation which is related to or in direct competition with the employer. this is often contained in a non-compete clause of employment contracts.

i hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.