Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I currently hold permanent residency however this is due to expire in November and by then I will only have fulfilled 1.5 years out of the 2 required so I will have to stay in Australia until I have. My boyfriend will be on his second year WHV and I plan to sponsor him after his expires. Thing is, when his is due to run out I will still have a couple of months to complete before I can renew my permanent residency...will I still be allowed to sponsor him?

Please help, I'm really confused!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi guys,

I currently hold permanent residency however this is due to expire in November and by then I will only have fulfilled 1.5 years out of the 2 required so I will have to stay in Australia until I have. My boyfriend will be on his second year WHV and I plan to sponsor him after his expires. Thing is, when his is due to run out I will still have a couple of months to complete before I can renew my permanent residency...will I still be allowed to sponsor him?

Please help, I'm really confused!

Thanks!
First of all, what visa do you hold that gives you PR that expires!
For as far as I know PR does not expire unless you decide to leave Australia and not return .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hold a Sub Class 155...that might have been my problem, I was thinking my visa would expire, not only just not allow me to return if I were to leave...is this the case?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I hold a Sub Class 155...that might have been my problem, I was thinking my visa would expire, not only just not allow me to return if I were to leave...is this the case?
It does seem you may be mis-reading the situation for it is true that to be eligible for a RRV having spent two of the last five years in Australia is one way you can be eligible as yóu may have read on
Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)
It is not the only way and even not being eligible for a RRV does not negate your PR.

As a PR you're eligible to sponsor someone and though Immi may look more closely at your preparedness to create links to Australia, if by the time you've got your 12 months relationship established with your Bf you're once again more settled down, that aspect of meeting sponsorship requirements should be OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.