Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I am a Swedish citizen, currently living in Sweden with my Australian citizen partner of 13 years. We have 2 children together who have both Swedish and Australian citizenship/passports.

My question is. We are planning on spending 9-12 months in Australia in order for the kids to experience their other homeland, and be closer to family there, for at least a period of time during their childhood. My partner can and will obviously work in Oz, and already has a job lined up. The kids are clearly allowed to go to school their as they have Australian passports etc.

When it comes to me however, we are slightly uncertain of what is the best way forward. As we do not plan to stay more than max 12 months, we are wondering if it is possible to simply apply for an extended tourist visa for me, with the sponsorship of my husband/his mother. Is that a possibility or will I get a no on that based on the fact that our kids would not be tourists, and would be going to school?

We are considering me doing a University distance course in Sweden while we are in Oz. So I would not be interested in working in Oz, nor to study at a Uni there. In Australian terms we are considering me an extended tourist based on visiting family (we would stay with my mother in law for the 9 months we are there).

Anyone with knowledge on whether this is possible or not?

Thanks a lot.
Ella

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha well yes so do I 馃榾 I just have no patience as I was told by my mother already at an early age.

Ok so basically the fact that our kids would be in school and that I would do a long distance uni course while in Oz makes no difference. I would still be considered a tourist.

Regarding sponsoring. It says on the website for family stream extended tourist visas that a sponsor may be necessary so that is why I brought it up. Thanks for your input!

Registered
Question. I am a Swedish citizen, currently living in Sweden with my Australian citizen partner of 13 years. We have 2 children together who have both Swedish and Australian citizenship/passports.

My question is. We are planning on spending 9-12 months in Australia in order for the kids to experience their other homeland, and be closer to family there, for at least a period of time during their childhood. My partner can and will obviously work in Oz, and already has a job lined up. The kids are clearly allowed to go to school their as they have Australian passports etc.

When it comes to me however, we are slightly uncertain of what is the best way forward. As we do not plan to stay more than max 12 months, we are wondering if it is possible to simply apply for an extended tourist visa for me, with the sponsorship of my husband/his mother. Is that a possibility or will I get a no on that based on the fact that our kids would not be tourists, and would be going to school?

We are considering me doing a University distance course in Sweden while we are in Oz. So I would not be interested in working in Oz, nor to study at a Uni there. In Australian terms we are considering me an extended tourist based on visiting family (we would stay with my mother in law for the 9 months we are there).

Anyone with knowledge on whether this is possible or not?

Thanks a lot.
Ella
It is possible to apply for an extended tourist visa for you, with the sponsorship of your partner or his mother, as long as you can demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Australia and that you have a strong intent to return to your home country at the end of your stay. However, it is important to note that the decision to grant a tourist visa is at the discretion of the visa officer and they may consider a range of factors including your relationship with your partner and children, your financial situation, and the length of your intended stay in Australia.
You mention that you plan to do a university distance course in Sweden while in Australia, which could be a positive factor in your visa application as it demonstrates that you have a strong reason to return to your home country. Additionally, the fact that you will be staying with your mother-in-law may also be considered positively as it demonstrates that you have a support system in place.
It is also worth noting that if you are granted a tourist visa, you will not be allowed to work in Australia. If you wish to work in Australia, you will need to apply for a different type of visa.
Overall, it is difficult to predict the outcome of your application, but it is possible to apply for an extended tourist visa with the sponsorship of your partner or his mother. It is always best to consult with a migration agent or the Australian embassy for more specific guidance on your situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts