Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! Hope all is well with you and I thank you for taking the time to read this.

So from what I've seen on this forum this is a fairly common question, (Can I work while on a BVA while waiting for a Partnership visa) but I have yet to see a thread which addresses the visa I'm currently on.

I am a U.S.A. citizen here in Australia on an ETA visa, I was trying to get a Skilled Independent Visa (189) but am just 10 points short with not many ways of improving that score. So, my partner and I have decided to try for a Partnership (de facto) 820 visa which I am currently in the process of organizing.

Finally my questions:
When I submit my 820 application with all the necessary documents, I have read I should get a BVA while it is processing, correct?
On this BVA, will I be allowed to work even though my ETA visa does not allow work?
Will I have to appeal to be allowed work rights?

I appreciate any insight as I have been racking my brains trying to sift through all the different information on visas.

Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
When you apply for a Partner visa onshore you will be granted a BVA with full work rights. The BVA will kick in when your ETA expires and not before. If your ETA has a maximum of 3 months for each visit then the BVA will kick in when the 3 months period has ended. You can't work until the your BVA kicks in.

After you apply for your Partner visa you can check up your visa status on VEVO and find out when your BVA kicks in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As Jeremy stated, you should have full work rights on your BVA, my husband arrived in Australia on an eVisitor (this is virtually identical to the ETA except it's free for Europeans - Americans need to pay for the ETA as the US charges Australians for their 90 day visa) - his BVA gives him full work rights, and he's been working since October.

notsure

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you apply for a Partner visa onshore you will be granted a BVA with full work rights. The BVA will kick in when your ETA expires and not before. If your ETA has a maximum of 3 months for each visit then the BVA will kick in when the 3 months period has ended. You can't work until the your BVA kicks in.

After you apply for your Partner visa you can check up your visa status on VEVO and find out when your BVA kicks in.
Jeremy, or anyone else who might know... is this still the case that someone who files for a Partner Visa while on an ETA would have full rights to work in Australia while the Partner Visa is being processed?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Jeremy, or anyone else who might know... is this still the case that someone who files for a Partner Visa while on an ETA would have full rights to work in Australia while the Partner Visa is being processed?
Yes, once your Bridging Visa A come into effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, once your Bridging Visa A come into effect.
Thank you! I wanted to make sure this info was still current.
If I apply while I'm on an ETA, does the bridging visa come into effect at the end of the 3 month max stay per visit, or at the end of the 12 months?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Thank you! I wanted to make sure this info was still current.
If I apply while I'm on an ETA, does the bridging visa come into effect at the end of the 3 month max stay per visit, or at the end of the 12 months?
If would help you a lot, if you actually read people's responses.

As Jeremy posted earlier on:

If your ETA has a maximum of 3 months for each visit then the BVA will kick in when the 3 months period has ended.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I just did this today (Applied for my partner visa and was emailed granting me BVA, but VEVO is having issue with giving me details about my BVA because my ETA is still my current visa. When I use ETA visa details for VEVO, VEVO doesn't recognize them. Yet, if I go on ETA visa website with details it says i'm all good.
Is this a common issue for VEVO? I've tried in past months to check ETA visa on VEVO, but it wouldn't recognize and of the details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.