Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m currently in a relationship with a Ukrainian girl which has gone from strength to strength. Basically we want to get married. I want her to come to live in Australia rather than me go to the Ukraine. Could someone shed some light on the likelihood of this being possible. I really have no idea where to start! Thank you in advance for any help whatsoever!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, she can, but it's not like they give out visas as a wedding gift. Start putting together evidence of your relationship. Chat history, call logs, photographs together, any joint accounts or assets, gifts sent/received. Make a timeline of your relationship; day you met in person, when you have visited each other etc. You probably will have to live in Ukraine for a while after you marry, because if you've never lived together, they probably wont see the relationship as genuine. you should have joint rental contract, utilities etc if possible. how you share finances and manage your home together. you need to provide objective evidence for all these, statements arent enough. you will also need statements from 2-4 people who know both of you and can make some comment on your relationship. After all this, there is the wait for processing, and it will be months. I'm sponsoring my partner, we are married and now been separated 5 months as I needed to return to Australia for medical reasons. Still waiting for his visa. Approval times do depend on the embassy where you lodge but it can be up to 15 months waiting so be prepared for that.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Hi, I'm currently in a relationship with a Ukrainian girl which has gone from strength to strength. Basically we want to get married. I want her to come to live in Australia rather than me go to the Ukraine. Could someone shed some light on the likelihood of this being possible. I really have no idea where to start! Thank you in advance for any help whatsoever!
You have to do some homework first. There are many different visa paths one can take depending on a myriad of criteria. Read up on the DIBP website first, this is a big undertaking that most people here have spent a lot of time researching before executing a plan. Once you have grasped the big picture, then come back with specifics.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Whatever you do, do not rush into getting married, without deciding on a realistic strategy first. If you have no idea how to go about this, get some professional advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever you do, do not rush into getting married, without deciding on a realistic strategy first. If you have no idea how to go about this, get some professional advice.
I wouldn't rush into marriage, but surely if 2 people want to be together in life and do marry, wouldn't that be enough? I mean can they keep husband and wife on opposite sides of the planet?
Obviously,you're in the know, not me, and I value any advice given.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to do some homework first. There are many different visa paths one can take depending on a myriad of criteria. Read up on the DIBP website first, this is a big undertaking that most people here have spent a lot of time researching before executing a plan. Once you have grasped the big picture, then come back with specifics.
Ok, thank you for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're not married yet then take a look at the Prospective Marriage Visa:
It'll give you sometime to gather more evidence for the Partner Visa whilst being able to live together in Australia
Thank you. I shall do as you suggested.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I wouldn't rush into marriage, but surely if 2 people want to be together in life and do marry, wouldn't that be enough? I mean can they keep husband and wife on opposite sides of the planet?
You have lots of reading and understanding to do.

I also know a bit about the Ukraine applicants and processing.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Unfortunately in the Australian immigration game, it's not enough. The evidence requirements must be met for the visa to be approved, whether you're married or not. Being engaged but not yet married opens your partner visa options from two to three, with that prospective marriage visa being a bit easier in terms of evidence and seems to cater more to long distance relationships.

Of course no matter which of the 3 options you choose, you'll need to meet the requirements. So get a good read through the DIBP website and learn about each before choosing your path.

300 PMV (prospective marriage visa): https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa...rriage-visa-(subclass-300)-document-checklist

309/100 (offshore de facto/spouse): https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-

820/801 (onshore de facto/spouse): https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, she can, but it's not like they give out visas as a wedding gift. Start putting together evidence of your relationship. Chat history, call logs, photographs together, any joint accounts or assets, gifts sent/received. Make a timeline of your relationship; day you met in person, when you have visited each other etc. You probably will have to live in Ukraine for a while after you marry, because if you've never lived together, they probably wont see the relationship as genuine. you should have joint rental contract, utilities etc if possible. how you share finances and manage your home together. you need to provide objective evidence for all these, statements arent enough. you will also need statements from 2-4 people who know both of you and can make some comment on your relationship. After all this, there is the wait for processing, and it will be months. I'm sponsoring my partner, we are married and now been separated 5 months as I needed to return to Australia for medical reasons. Still waiting for his visa. Approval times do depend on the embassy where you lodge but it can be up to 15 months waiting so be prepared for that.
Thanks for your response to my query. Must be a very difficult time for you at the moment. Being married but being apart I mean.
Me living in the Ukraine is really out of the question, for any amount of time basically. My work is here in Australia as is my daughter. I really have no choice but to stay put.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not so simple. Applying from the Ukraine will pose additional challenges. As others have suggested, start reading up on the various options, so you get a good idea what is involved before you go any further.

Reactions: ampk

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you're not married yet then take a look at the Prospective Marriage Visa:
It'll give you sometime to gather more evidence for the Partner Visa whilst being able to live together in Australia
Thank you. I shall do as you suggested.
If your partner has skills/qualifications/experience which Australia needs then she may be eligible to apply for skilled migration (which could mean permanent residency) so it might also be a good idea to have a look at those visas on the DIBP website (subclass 189, 190 etc)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I reckon your best option would be the Prospective of Marriage visa (300).

"Eligibility

You must:

intend to marry
have met and know your prospective spouse
be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for a Partner visa)
be at least 18 years of age."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.