Australia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner just received her 820 last night and we were thinking of heading overseas over Christmas (pending the border opening up), however we are just concerned if her 820 (being a Temporary visa still) will allow her to enter the country again - don't want her to suddenly be stuck, not able to come in once Australians and PR's are allowed to go in and out of Australia.

Let me know if anyone has any insight on this, thanks.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
My partner just received her 820 last night and we were thinking of heading overseas over Christmas (pending the border opening up), however we are just concerned if her 820 (being a Temporary visa still) will allow her to enter the country again - don't want her to suddenly be stuck, not able to come in once Australians and PR's are allowed to go in and out of Australia.

Pretty sure that 820 and 309 holders can leave and enter Australia without needing an exemption.

Getting an actual flight back however, is a very different thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
820 can leave without exemption. Getting back will be the issue - as it stands only citizens and PRs will be able to home quarantine. So she'll have to pay for hotel quarentine, and presumably be subject to any associated flight caps - which might be an issue getting a flight back (I'm in the same boat)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that cuts out any international travel for a while then, what a frustrating rule.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I guess that cuts out any international travel for a while then, what a frustrating rule.
Are you fully vaccinated so that you will be ready when it is deemed safe to allow more arrivals from overseas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The thing is we don't know yet. The government hasn't announced the details for the home quarantine program yet. There is a chance that temporary residents will be able to home quarantine. It wouldn't make sense to exclude them if they are vaccinated and have a home in Australia. Lots of people of work visas who would love to go visit their family overseas once borders open.

·
Registered
23 Posts

You can travel overseas as far as the visa conditions are concerned with the s/c 820 visa, so don't fret. Feel free to call me on 0412 942 728 if you like Peter Rozsy Registered Migration Agent #9901480

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
You can travel overseas as far as the visa conditions are concerned with the s/c 820 visa, so don't fret. Feel free to call me on 0412 942 728 if you like Peter Rozsy Registered Migration Agent #9901480
The worry would be more about getting back to Australia.

There is no problem for an 820 holder in leaving Australia. No exemption needed for that.

But if they want to return, they need an exemption, and to be able to get one of the few flights available.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
The thing is we don't know yet. The government hasn't announced the details for the home quarantine program yet. There is a chance that temporary residents will be able to home quarantine. It wouldn't make sense to exclude them if they are vaccinated and have a home in Australia. Lots of people of work visas who would love to go visit their family overseas once borders open.
Government advice is that Home quarantine will only be available to a selected group of travellers.

1) They must be Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Residents.
Anyone else is currently allowed to LEAVE Australia without restriction, but may be unable to return from their home country, to Australia.
2) Their state must have reached the vaccination rate of 80%.
3) They must be fully vaccinated with an Australian approved vaccine to be eligible for home quarantine.

Travel restrictions will remain in place for anyone where hotel quarantine still applies. And the numbers will still be restricted by the allocation of hotel quarantine places, or other suitable alternatives.
Queensland, for example, is currently building two 1,000 bed quarantine facilities near two airports.

These are expected to open in December 2021 and March 2022.

Reactions: simon98

·
Registered
16 Posts
Things have changed a lot in the past nine days!

For NSW at least (probably Victoria soon) there will be no need for home quarantine on return, after 1 November (for fully vacinated with negative test).

Also, the initial mention that only Australian citizens and permanent residents qualified has been expanded to include "immediate family" (such as 820 visa spouses, but also parents for the first time).

Lastly but most importantly this means that airlines are starting up flights and ading lots of capacity, both out of and into Australia. Fares are not bargains, especially over Christmas as usual, but reasonable.

So travel will be possible. We're booked and off in a couple of weeks (820 visa holder, and citizen), coming back in a few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The worry would be more about getting back to Australia.

There is no problem for an 820 holder in leaving Australia. No exemption needed for that.

But if they want to return, they need an exemption, and to be able to get one of the few flights available.
You absolutely can - it is the getting back that is the issue.
The conditions on your visa allows you to freely travel.

However Coronavirus will have an effect and this will keep changing

Have a look at this website for the current information. Leaving Australia | COVID-19 and the border

Keep checking the site for changes. Also check the details for your partner. Remember to keep records of your communication whilst apart too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts