Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of completing the Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) application. I am a Canadian citizen, and my fiance is Australian. We just got engaged in March 2018 on his visit to Canada. We have never lived together (other than when traveling - we share accommodations and expenses for the duration we are together), we don't share any joint ownerships, rent or utilities expenses. Throughout the application, however, it asks for proof of joint finances and nature of household, etc. While we live in separate countries at the moment, we plan to pursue and share joint finances and ownership once I move to Australia.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I keep having to reiterate within the application our future plans of sharing a house, sharing the expenses, etc. The only proof we have our relationship thus far is accommodations we have booked together, flights we have booked together, and photos of us traveling together/spending time with each others' families.

Any insight from anyone who is going through the pmv 300 or partner visa process would be much appreciated. Want to make sure I'm on the right track and not missing anything!

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Don't panic, you have chosen the correct visa to apply for, as the only mandatory requirement for a PMV, is that you have met in person.
Read through the posts in the forum where you will see the type of evidence people applying for the same visa.
Basically, it consists of , a description of how you met, photos of the both of you with friends and family in a social setting, and your future plans together in Australia. You need to go into greater detail of course, but there is no requirement for living together, shared finances etc, that is required for a partner visa.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi,

I'm in the process of completing the Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) application. I am a Canadian citizen, and my fiance is Australian. We just got engaged in March 2018 on his visit to Canada. We have never lived together (other than when traveling - we share accommodations and expenses for the duration we are together), we don't share any joint ownerships, rent or utilities expenses. Throughout the application, however, it asks for proof of joint finances and nature of household, etc. While we live in separate countries at the moment, we plan to pursue and share joint finances and ownership once I move to Australia.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I keep having to reiterate within the application our future plans of sharing a house, sharing the expenses, etc. The only proof we have our relationship thus far is accommodations we have booked together, flights we have booked together, and photos of us traveling together/spending time with each others' families.

Any insight from anyone who is going through the pmv 300 or partner visa process would be much appreciated. Want to make sure I'm on the right track and not missing anything!
Unfortunately many case officers now apply the 4 relationship pillars to the prospective marriage visas to guide them in establishing that the relationship is genuine. They are especially interested in commitment and social evidence .

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
Unfortunately many case officers now apply the 4 relationship pillars to the prospective marriage visas to guide them in establishing that the relationship is genuine. They are especially interested in commitment and social evidence .
The ineptitude of the DOHA, seems to know no bounds Nick, and it seems to be only getting worse. As I have previously mentioned, in the days when they had interviews, my now wife and I were asked for photographic evidence that we had met in person, even though the 2 of us were sitting in front of the case officer!
To ask for evidence of future commitment and social interaction is understandable , but as the visa is a "prospective" marriage one it seems disingenuous to apply the same requirements as those of an established relationship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't panic, you have chosen the correct visa to apply for, as the only mandatory requirement for a PMV, is that you have met in person.
Read through the posts in the forum where you will see the type of evidence people applying for the same visa.
Basically, it consists of , a description of how you met, photos of the both of you with friends and family in a social setting, and your future plans together in Australia. You need to go into greater detail of course, but there is no requirement for living together, shared finances etc, that is required for a partner visa.
Thanks! Your response took some weight off my shoulders.

I have enough evidence to prove the genuineness of our relationship. However, organizing and consolidating it all has been a bit tricky as I don't want to miss anything. I decided to make 4 supporting documents that contain proofs of each visit/vacation, outlining every booking confirmation, event, activity, and respective photos.

For example, Document A starts off with screenshots of our messages prior to the first trip > fiance's flight booking confirmation from Australia to Canada > photos of me receiving him at the airport, then at home > concert/sporting event tickets > photos of us at the concert/sporting event > our joint travel itinerary to an all-inclusive > photos of us at the airport/flying together > photos of us at the all-inclusive > photos of our return to Canada, and so on until the end of his trip (literally the last photo we took at the airport before his departure back Australia).

Each document outlines each trip from start to finish, with everything in between (except for restaurant receipts, I never keep those anyway!) and each document is on average 55 pages long. Each photo, also, has a sentence pertaining to the photo's who/what/when/where so the reader has a better idea of what's going on. I have a short video of the proposal - need to check if I am able to upload it with the application.

This was the only illustratable way I could put it together - I hope its OK! Otherwise, my fiance and I met online and we both have active and open social media accounts - could I refer the reader to check us out online for more information? lol

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If I were a complete stranger with only a few hours to assess your information, that would be quite a heavy application to go through. Not very organized in a sense of going down a list and checking things off.

Personally, we arranged the info so they can look at what they need when they need. Financial under one file, social evidence under one, holidays under one file, photos under one file (only need about 20), proof of communication while apart under one, etc. With identity and other required documents uploaded individually, it came out to about 30 upload slots.

Quality over quantity. You don't need 220 pages of evidence to prove you've met in person and your relationship is genuine. And 55 pages in each evidence document... what if they need to go back and look something over? They then have to traverse through them.

No videos either. Just take a screenshot of the proposal and add to photos. We only did one photo per significant event.

But that's just my opinion. Everyone does things differently so do it how you see fit.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The personal statement about your relationship should be 2 to 4 pages only and address the main aspects of your relationship. Don’t provide more than 20-30 pictures at most. No videos. No one is going to wade through 220 pages of evidence, so make a selection of relevant evidence that tells the story and backs the information provided in the application forms and personal statements. If you can’t decide on what to include and what to leave out, get someone to do it for you, as you may be unable to see the forest for the trees...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.