Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, the 801/820 application says to include a birth certificate showing both parents names. My birth certificate from Ontario does not show their names, what can I do to get around this? I have read somewhere that I may be able to do a stat dec instead?
Also, does the birth certificate have to be an original? Or can it be sent and printed through email and certified?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, the 801/820 application says to include a birth certificate showing both parents names. My birth certificate from Ontario does not show their names, what can I do to get around this? I have read somewhere that I may be able to do a stat dec instead?
I would get a new birth certificate, which you can do by post. I had to do that for my Alberta birth certificate from BC.

Also, does the birth certificate have to be an original? Or can it be sent and printed through email and certified?
No. A clear colour scan will suffice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get a new birth certificate, which you can do by post. I had to do that for my Alberta birth certificate from BC.

No. A clear colour scan will suffice.
Do you remember how long it took for you to get the new birth certificate sent back? I wonder (if I ran out of time) if they would accept a receipt showing that I have applied for a new one?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do you remember how long it took for you to get the new birth certificate sent back? I wonder (if I ran out of time) if they would accept a receipt showing that I have applied for a new one?
Do you have family or friends in Ontario still? You can always have it posted to your friends or family and have them scan it, email it and then post the copy of the birth certificate.

I paid for the express service and had it within 3 or so days.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just read that the Ontario Government doesn't guarantee an expedited service for birth certificates with parents names on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not Canadian and this has nothing to do with me but I just wanted to say I found it really odd to read that Canada issues birth certificates without parent names? i thought the whole point of a birth certificate was to state when you were born and who "birthed" you.

Anyway sorry to butt in, as you were :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have family or friends in Ontario still? You can always have it posted to your friends or family and have them scan it, email it and then post the copy of the birth certificate.

I paid for the express service and had it within 3 or so days.
Okay great thanks. I can have my parents scan/email it to me from Canada!

Also- do you happen to know... for the form 47SP pg. 18, when it asks to "Give details of the development of the relationship between the applicant and sponsor"- How much detail should I go into for this?
Will there be another part in the application that asks for a more detailed relationship statement?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not Canadian and this has nothing to do with me but I just wanted to say I found it really odd to read that Canada issues birth certificates without parent names? i thought the whole point of a birth certificate was to state when you were born and who "birthed" you.

Anyway sorry to butt in, as you were :)
yeah i know! i found it strange tooo.... and now frustrating!

·
Registered
974 Posts
yeah i know! i found it strange tooo.... and now frustrating!
I've never heard of that, birth certificate without the parents names on it. I've had many birth certificates (I went through a phase where I used to lose all my ID), all of which had both of my parents names on it.

My sister, who was born in BC, same thing, parents names on the certificate. Strange.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
You'll need to apply for the long version of your birth certificate as the short card version doesn't include the parent's names, and you're given a certified copy of the birth registration. I remember when I applied for my PR visa I tried to get a certified copy of it but the JP said she couldn't certify a certified copy so I simply uploaded what I had (the "original" certified copy I got from the Ontario government years earlier) and that was fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll need to apply for the long version of your birth certificate as the short card version doesn't include the parent's names, and you're given a certified copy of the birth registration. I remember when I applied for my PR visa I tried to get a certified copy of it but the JP said she couldn't certify a certified copy so I simply uploaded what I had (the "original" certified copy I got from the Ontario government years earlier) and that was fine.
Great thank you for your reply! that is exactly what we shall do then :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.