Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I am a 29-year-old Canadian plumber. I began my apprenticeship in June 2013 here in Nova Scotia, Canada. In June 2017, after my interprovincial exam, I will be a fully qualified "Red Seal" plumber.

My goal is to move to Australia permanently. My partner (29 British citizen, Canadian PR) and I met there on Working Holiday Visas in 2010 and it has been our life aim ever since our 2nd year WHV expired over 5years ago.

We are looking for a migration agent that can help us with this.

Originally we thought that we would wait until I had three years post trade experience and then apply for a 189 skilled independent visa and in the meantime look for sponsorship and apply for a 457 visa and see what came first.

With the recent changes to the 189 and the 457 we realised now that a 189 is no longer possible and that we would have to go down the path of the 457 only. i think!

I have reached out to the MARA agents in Canada (all 6 of them) to see if they can assist. Are any of you using a MARA in Canada? Or an immigration lawyer? Can you recommend anyone?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
There are about 6 that regularly post on this forum, they have contact info in their signature below the comment.

They are all recommended by many on here, I have personally used 2 of them.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
With the recent changes to the 189 and the 457 we realised now that a 189 is no longer possible and that we would have to go down the path of the 457 only. i think!
Why is that ? Plumber is still on both the new skills lists.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No advice, but hello fellow Nova Scotian!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is that ? Plumber is still on both the new skills lists.
From a quick look it appears that there are now only 16 occupations left on the 189 visa list. I'm really hoping I am wrong, which is why i'm trying to find an expert! I'd be happy with a 457 but if I could get skilled independant that would obviously be so much better in the long run :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are about 6 that regularly post on this forum, they have contact info in their signature below the comment.

They are all recommended by many on here, I have personally used 2 of them.
Great! Thanks. In your opinion is it necessary to use someone that is in Canada or would any MA be ok?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
"R" is the key.

2 of them have replied to your post.

I would by reading the post have no doubt plumber is still on the list.

Between the 2 RMA's I can determine they have combined more than 25 years experience being RMA's.

If I wanted to migrate to Canada I would look for a Canadian migration agent, I think they would know the Canadian laws inside out and how their system works. If I used an Australian one, they might have done the process a few times.

The use of internet and Skype is great.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If your intent is to come to Australia, you really should use an Australian RMA. They will be much more familiar and in the loop with Australian migration than a Canadian agent.

Many also use Skype so the distance isn't an issue. There are several prominent ones that are highly recommended and have been doing it for a long time. Two of them have commented on this thread.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
From a quick look it appears that there are now only 16 occupations left on the 189 visa list. I'm really hoping I am wrong, which is why i'm trying to find an expert! I'd be happy with a 457 but if I could get skilled independant that would obviously be so much better in the long run :)
I think you misread that. The 16 occupations you refer to (marked like this **) are only eligible for a sc. 1989 visa, while the others are also eligible for the s. 458 and 489 visas.

There are additional occupations on the combined skills list.Plumber is on both lists.

In my view, you are better off using Australia based agents, as we are closer to the action and more likely to be up to speed with all the latest changes. Many applications can be done online nowadays, so you're geographical location is not an issue for any competent registered migration agent in Australia.

Reactions: wrussell

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Canada does not permit unregistered agents to act for visa applicants, but the DIBP does permit unregistered agents outside Australia to do so, often with unfortunate consequences.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Canada does not permit unregistered agents to act for visa applicants, but the DIBP does permit unregistered agents outside Australia to do so, often with unfortunate consequences.
Canada and NZ both. I do not understand why Australia continues to allow incompetent, unscrupulous and unqualified operators to lodge visa applications and swindle people.

I also object to the term "unregistered migration agent". There is no such thing. You are either a 'registered migration agent" or you not. After all, we don't talk about "unchartered" accountants to describe some hack doing your books.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Canada and NZ both. I do not understand why Australia continues to allow incompetent, unscrupulous and unqualified operators to lodge visa applications and swindle people.QUOTE]

I expect it is a good revenue source and when it all goes wrong DIBP say they can not be responsible for other countries laws/rules, as they accept a second application fee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.