Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how can one request a graduate visa? Currently a student doing final exams for law degree. I am a Canadian. I want to apply for and secure a graduate visa so that I can return to Australia if the opportunity arises. Can anyone help please? My current COE expires shortly, and Lawyers are not on the list of occupations that Australia requires.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi how can one request a graduate visa? Currently a student doing final exams for law degree. I am a Canadian. I want to apply for and secure a graduate visa so that I can return to Australia if the opportunity arises. Can anyone help please? My current COE expires shortly, and Lawyers are not on the list of occupations that Australia requires.

Thank you.
You're studying in Australia shall I assume? and COE?
But in any case, without an occupation on the SOL, you're probably left with checking that lawyers are on the ENSOL and seeing about employer sponsorship as far as skilled visas go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am studying in Australia. I have the OFFSHORE Higher Ed Sctr (Web) (TU 573) visa currently. The CoE is the confirmation of enrolment which has the date that the courses officially end - end of August 2010. My visa is good till January 2011. Also I understand that they look at your GPA (grade point average) and if it is below 0.5 they may reject you.

However, I have been told that if I leave Australia before making an application for the graduate visa, I will not be able to make an application from outside the country or even if I come back before January 2011. That is why I want to apply before I go back home.

Wow - employer sponsorship eh? I have been so busy studying I have no idea who even to contact.

The Australian immigration site is so confusing.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Yes I am studying in Australia. I have the OFFSHORE Higher Ed Sctr (Web) (TU 573) visa currently. The CoE is the confirmation of enrolment which has the date that the courses officially end - end of August 2010. My visa is good till January 2011. Also I understand that they look at your GPA (grade point average) and if it is below 0.5 they may reject you.

However, I have been told that if I leave Australia before making an application for the graduate visa, I will not be able to make an application from outside the country or even if I come back before January 2011. That is why I want to apply before I go back home.

Wow - employer sponsorship eh? I have been so busy studying I have no idea who even to contact.

The Australian immigration site is so confusing.
You may well know more than what you'll find out here re the GPA etc. and I'm always a bit surprised they issue the visas with validity date so far past a course finish date and thought it was usually a month and longer where the study has been for a longer period and/or making allowance for attending graduation ceromonies etc.
Usually you are also allowed travel which means out and back in up until when your visa ceases.
Have they put a condition in your grant advice re course enrolment up to a certain date being required for continued validity?
But as for the immigration site being confusing, shouldn't be for someone studying something like law and if you go to the immi site and under Visas & Immigration click on Workers and you get Workers - Visas & Immigration
Employer Sponsorship top dog as it is in priority.
You do need to find an employer obviously and not having experience could be an issue but if you have qualifications for an occupation on the ENSOL, you may sneak in.
Could be you may have to be admitted to the bar etc. and so that mean you still may have to get experience back home unless you can slide in as an articled clerk or associate or whatever if there's a suitable occupation on ENSOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Wanderer.

I think I am covered under the old rules and will still be able to apply for the (GSM) General Skilled Migration subclass 485 visa under the old rules because I currently hold a subclass 573 visa (higher education sector). So I should be able to apply for the subclass 485 (skilled graduate) visa, as long as I do it on or before 31 December 2012.

Form 1276 Application for general skilled migration to Australia has to be submitted. The form is very long, and I have yet to look at it in detail.
I will be making other posts with links

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to post more information which may be helpful to others in the same situation that I am in, but I get the following message. I guess I will have to become an active member first....

Sorry you are not allowed to post links to other sites. You are only allowed to post URLs (links) to other sites after you become an Active Member and have made over 5 posts or more which follow the rules and are not at all promotional.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bah humbug - I am still getting the same message. I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks for your reply Wanderer.

I think I am covered under the old rules and will still be able to apply for the (GSM) General Skilled Migration subclass 485 visa under the old rules because I currently hold a subclass 573 visa (higher education sector). So I should be able to apply for the subclass 485 (skilled graduate) visa, as long as I do it on or before 31 December 2012.

Yes, if students meet the requirements there are transitional arrangements.
A good reason for people to be clear in posts from the start.
But no need to go posting all the stuff from an Immi link and you'll find plenty of Immi links as sticky threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
485 visa application with an Australian law degree

Hi Mhk

I have just completed my law degree in Australia and was looking at applying for a 485 graduate visa. Have you had any luck with your applications (employee nominated or otherwise) and if so please let me know how it went... i am not feeling too hopeful at the moment!

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Mhk

I have just completed my law degree in Australia and was looking at applying for a 485 graduate visa. Have you had any luck with your applications (employee nominated or otherwise) and if so please let me know how it went... i am not feeling too hopeful at the moment!

Thank you!!!!
No luck. Returned to Canada now, but keeping eyes peeled in case there are employers who may nominate. Have you got any prospective employers who may sponsor you? Where did you graduate from?

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
No luck. Returned to Canada now, but keeping eyes peeled in case there are employers who may nominate. Have you got any prospective employers who may sponsor you? Where did you graduate from?

Good luck :)
Thanks for reply.. sorry you had to leave :(
Graduated from UWA in Perth and no employee willing to sponsor me here. Am looking at applying for a 485 visa (Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa) but it also seems quite difficult - i have to find an occupation on the list that is closely related to what I studied and the only options that are even remotely similar are:
- Reseach and Development
- Business and Information Professional (not elsewhere classified)
- Market Research Analyst

These were suggested to me by an immigration agent, although I'm struggling to mould my degree to any of the above. If you are still interested in returning to Aus you should look at the 485 visa because I am sure you can also apply off-shore (however I think it needs to be within 6 months of graduating - so your time-frame may be narrowing).

Thanks again and good luck to you too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for reply.. sorry you had to leave :(
Graduated from UWA in Perth and no employee willing to sponsor me here. Am looking at applying for a 485 visa (Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa) but it also seems quite difficult - i have to find an occupation on the list that is closely related to what I studied and the only options that are even remotely similar are:
- Reseach and Development
- Business and Information Professional (not elsewhere classified)
- Market Research Analyst

These were suggested to me by an immigration agent, although I'm struggling to mould my degree to any of the above. If you are still interested in returning to Aus you should look at the 485 visa because I am sure you can also apply off-shore (however I think it needs to be within 6 months of graduating - so your time-frame may be narrowing).

Thanks again and good luck to you too!
Thanks for the tip :) Best of luck - to both of us eh!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Graduate/TR visa

Hi everyone
Can anyone pls reply my query.
There is 6 months time to apply PR after finishing studies in Australia.
What happens if I apply and get Graduate/TR visa ( Do i need to apply within 6 months or anytime between 18 months of TR visa span).
finished my studies but only have 115 points for GSM ( IELTS attempts failed) need some time to reappear IELTS.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you have a 485 visa, you can apply anytime while you are on that visa, details @ Skilled - Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885) including other eligibility requirements.
The eligibility system and processing priorities have been changed in the last year or so, with some more change due to take place from mid this year so have a read of the relevant information on the Whats New Link @ top of the above page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mhk

Thank you!!!!
Sorry - no luck. Truth be told I have not even submitted my application yet, so I guess I would not know eh? Its getting really difficult now I hear. If only we could find employers who would nominate us! Where did you graduate from? LLB or Juris Doctor? Good luck and take care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Wonderer for a reply
still not clear, if i get 485 visa still I need to applyfor PR within 6 months of finishing my studies?

Thanks again

If you have a 485 visa, you can apply anytime while you are on that visa, details @ Skilled - Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885) including other eligibility requirements.
The eligibility system and processing priorities have been changed in the last year or so, with some more change due to take place from mid this year so have a read of the relevant information on the Whats New Link @ top of the above page.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.