Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner (and sponsor for 801 Partner Visa) recently renewed his Australian passport. When we go to his sponsor application and go to update his details, there is no option to update passport details. I also tried on my own application, using the update passport option but when I select a name only mine is available. How do we go about updating it?

· Registered
85 Posts
My partner (and sponsor for 801 Partner Visa) recently renewed his Australian passport. When we go to his sponsor application and go to update his details, there is no option to update passport details. I also tried on my own application, using the update passport option but when I select a name only mine is available. How do we go about updating it?
Hi,
As the sponsor I had the same issue…my partner had been granted the 820 in December 2020 and in November 2021 I renewed my passport. I ran into the same problem as I found there was no appropriate place to upload the new passport. I ended up uploading it the sponsor’s application (even though it showed submitted) under the heading Identity, Evidence of. Once I uploaded it, it said received. I also emailed, to an email address I found for the DOHA, to inform them of the passport renewal and to let them know where I had uploaded it too…I received no confirmation whatsoever that they had seen my new passport or any acknowledgement of my email. Five months later we applied for the 801 and as sponsor I had to do a Stat Dec which included my new passport page cited by a JP. It has now been 9 months since the 801 submission and while we haven’t been granted the 801 yet we also have not been contacted requesting further information. So, in short, I feel like I have done the best I could and, given I have not received any contact from the Department, I assume they have seen my renewed passport?
Hope this helps and happy to try and answer further questions?

· Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
As the sponsor I had the same issue…my partner had been granted the 820 in December 2020 and in November 2021 I renewed my passport. I ran into the same problem as I found there was no appropriate place to upload the new passport. I ended up uploading it the sponsor’s application (even though it showed submitted) under the heading Identity, Evidence of. Once I uploaded it, it said received. I also emailed, to an email address I found for the DOHA, to inform them of the passport renewal and to let them know where I had uploaded it too…I received no confirmation whatsoever that they had seen my new passport or any acknowledgement of my email. Five months later we applied for the 801 and as sponsor I had to do a Stat Dec which included my new passport page cited by a JP. It has now been 9 months since the 801 submission and while we haven’t been granted the 801 yet we also have not been contacted requesting further information. So, in short, I feel like I have done the best I could and, given I have not received any contact from the Department, I assume they have seen my renewed passport?
Hope this helps and happy to try and answer further questions?
9 months and you still haven’t been granted a visa… I’m in a similar situation, waiting sucks. Specially, when there are cases out there of 801 visa grants within a month after submission

· Registered
85 Posts
9 months and you still haven’t been granted a visa… I’m in a similar situation, waiting sucks. Specially, when there are cases out there of 801 visa grants within a month after submission
Hi Marvelous

Let me tell you there are applicants who have been waiting longer than us…I am in a conversation group where two others have been waiting 14 months for the 801 Grant…All of us believe our applications are straight forward and none of them have had requests for additional documents. This is part of what one of the others communicated to us;

”There has been a massive increase for temporary visas grants 820 and 309 and even the PR 100 visas and little grants for 801. Their argument according to some news outlets is that 801 have the right to work in Australia, they are with their families and they are able to travel freely so there's no real urgent as compared to those who are waiting outside the country.”

We are not aware of any recent 801 grants, certainly not after waiting one month? We all agree with you that waiting sucks…how long have you been waiting for 801?

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi Marvelous

Let me tell you there are applicants who have been waiting longer than us…I am in a conversation group where two others have been waiting 14 months for the 801 Grant…All of us believe our applications are straight forward and none of them have had requests for additional documents. This is part of what one of the others communicated to us;

”There has been a massive increase for temporary visas grants 820 and 309 and even the PR 100 visas and little grants for 801. Their argument according to some news outlets is that 801 have the right to work in Australia, they are with their families and they are able to travel freely so there's no real urgent as compared to those who are waiting outside the country.”

We are not aware of any recent 801 grants, certainly not after waiting one month? We all agree with you that waiting sucks…how long have you been waiting for 801?
PS I have invited you to the conversation I have had with 2 others who have been waiting 14 months so you will see the conversation we have been having!

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi again EmiH
I am happy to send you a copy, if you would like me to, of the email we sent to notify the Department of the renewed passport?

· Registered
46 Posts
Hi Marvelous

Hi,
Recent grant that I am aware of

Agreed there’s no actual urgency to receive the 801, but to bring me here in 2020 on a temporary visa we had to endure a hell, it was really stressful and heavily impacted us psychologically, so that my partner willing to travel with me overseas only if I am a permanent resident, so that there’s no question marks in anybody’s head on check-ins, passport control etc regarding my visas ever again. And I need to go overseas, but he is stressed, and it makes me anxious.
I am eligible for 801 since I think June 2022, applied in September 2022, my waiting hasn’t been long at all, but I can see it will end up being months and months and months before I get any feedback from the department.

Thank you for the invitation!

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

Agreed there’s no actual urgency to receive the 801, but to bring me here in 2020 on a temporary visa we had to endure a hell, it was really stressful and heavily impacted us psychologically, so that my partner willing to travel with me overseas only if I am a permanent resident, so that there’s no question marks in anybody’s head on check-ins, passport control etc regarding my visas ever again. And I need to go overseas, but he is stressed, and it makes me anxious.
I am eligible for 801 since I think June 2022, applied in September 2022, my waiting hasn’t been long at all, but I can see it will end up being months and months and months.

Can I ask why you can’t travel overseas given you have the 820 temporary visa?

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

I am eligible for 801 since I think June 2022, applied in September 2022, my waiting hasn’t been long at all, but I can see it will end up being months and months and months before I get any feedback from the department.

The person you referenced took nearly 2 years to get the 801, not 1 month?

· Registered
85 Posts
Surely I can travel, all I said whilst 820 being a temporary visa, my partner feels uncomfortable for me leaving the country not as a permanent resident, as we (him especially) had to endure a lot to bring me here on a temporary visa a few years ago.
Ok, fair enough…keep in touch and let us (the group I invited you to) know of any developments, as we will also😊

· Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, I have not communicated properly. This is regarding the recent grants, as you mentioned above you have not heard of any for a while.
The ones which took a month to be granted I learnt from a migration agent on social media.
Sorry, my mistake…did you and your partner use a migration agent? We didn’t and not sure the two others in the private conversation did either…maybe migration agents get a quicker response, but who knows? It seems like there is no pattern to the way the system (especially notification) works?

· Registered
46 Posts
Sorry, my mistake…did you and your partner use a migration agent? We didn’t and not sure the two others in the private conversation did either…maybe migration agents get a quicker response, but who knows? It seems like there is no pattern to the way the system (especially notification) works?
Not for 820/801, we did use the agent for the 300 (prospective marriage visa).
I am of the same view, it truly seems that way, unfortunately: no pattern, no queue, no logic, it’s like they randomly open someone’s file and start working on it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much for the feedback and advice! I have found an enquiries email address for 820 visa holders and will give that a shot. In the very least to get some guidance! I hear you guys it's tough waiting! I've been waiting about 9 months myself for my PR (no agent 😬 so this forum has been a godsend as nothing in this process has been clear). Looked at processing time recently and looks like 90% of applications at the moment are processed after 25 months 😕.

so that my partner willing to travel with me overseas only if I am a permanent resident, so that there’s no question marks in anybody’s head on check-ins, passport control etc regarding my visas ever again. And I need to go overseas, but he is stressed, and it makes me anxious.
Marvelous_n you should be able to travel with no issues on a temporary residency visa but I can understand your hesitance! I will be travelling in about a month back to the UK for just under two weeks I can let you know how it goes!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My brother is also doing the onshore partner visa but with a migration agent so we can compare to see if it's faster 😂 I also wonder if getting married actually helps at all, I've heard it doesn't but some people claim it does. My partner and I got married in December so we'll see!

· Registered
46 Posts
Marvelous_n you should be able to travel with no issues on a temporary residency visa but I can understand your hesitance! I will be travelling in about a month back to the UK for just under two weeks I can let you know how it goes!
Hi,
I am sure you are gonna be fine, same as I am, if I decide to go overseas. The problem is my partner, who absolutely insists i receive a PR first. Within the next 6 months I have to make a trip home, but what if I will be waiting for the 801 for the next 2 years? Hey, it can happen, knowing my luck lol. Well, I will have to deal with that.
I was once wondering whether a nationality of an applicant has anything to do with a visa grant speed? But you are from the UK, and there can be no lower risk country than the UK, and still you’ve been waiting for approximately 9 months, so I assume - no, it has nothing to do with nationality.

Wish you to have a safe trip home!

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
I am sure you are gonna be fine, same as I am, if I decide to go overseas. The problem is my partner, who absolutely insists i receive a PR first. Within the next 6 months I have to make a trip home, but what if I will be waiting for the 801 for the next 2 years? Hey, it can happen, knowing my luck lol. Well, I will have to deal with that.
I was once wondering whether a nationality of an applicant has anything to do with a visa grant speed? But you are from the UK, and there can be no lower risk country than the UK, and still you’ve been waiting for approximately 9 months, so I assume - no, it has nothing to do with nationality.

Wish you to have a safe trip home!
It has got the better of me but I have just got to ask, why is your partner so insistent that you not travel overseas without the PR? My partner is going overseas in the middle of the year as she hasn’t seen her family for over 3 years due to Covid. We have been waiting 9 months for 801 already and the way things are going I doubt we will have the 801 by the time she travels overseas. As you have identified, it may be ages before you get the 801 granted…I don’t mean to be offensive but it seems unusual to insist you not travel?

· Registered
46 Posts
It has got the better of me but I have just got to ask, why is your partner so insistent that you not travel overseas without the PR? My partner is going overseas in the middle of the year as she hasn’t seen her family for over 3 years due to Covid. We have been waiting 9 months for 801 already and the way things are going I doubt we will have the 801 by the time she travels overseas. As you have identified, it may be ages before you get the 801 granted…I don’t mean to be offensive but it seems unusual to insist you not travel?
No problem:) His worry is I’m going to be stuck somewhere, or not be allowed on a flight, like it once happened. It’s unlikely to occur again, but the world we live in is quite unstable, it might only take a new COVID variant, more deadly one for the borders to go up again with a very little notice, like it was in 2020, and creat whole new drama for us

1 - 20 of 32 Posts