Australia Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
No problem:) His worry is I’m going to be stuck somewhere, or not be allowed on a flight, like it once happened. It’s unlikely to occur again, but the world we live in is quite unstable, it might only take a new COVID variant, more deadly one for the borders to go up again with a very little notice, like it was in 2020, and creat whole new drama for us
Possible but highly improbable…however, each to their own re risk mitigation😊

· Registered
86 Posts
On top of that I am a Russian citizen, it doesn’t help us at the moment either
Now I know why the cautious approach…yes, can fully understand the hesitancy…I probably wouldn’t want you to travel either unless I was travelling with you…the situation in Ukraine is not the fault of the general Russian populace but the power hungry politicians unfortunately…hope you get your PR soon…Good luck.😊

· Registered
48 Posts
Now I know why the cautious approach…yes, can fully understand the hesitancy…I probably wouldn’t want you to travel either unless I was travelling with you…the situation in Ukraine is not the fault of the general Russian populace but the power hungry politicians unfortunately…hope you get your PR soon…Good luck.😊
Thank you for your understanding and kind words:) unfortunately yes, there is no single thing that makes us/him cautious, it’s a number of things.
I pray to Jesus this bloody war to stop.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
Looked at processing time recently and looks like 90% of applications at the moment are processed after 25 months 😕.
It's not that bad.

The median average processing time for Subclass 801 Partner visas, that were finalised in November 2022, was 10 Months.

The median average processing time for Subclass 820 Partner visas, that were finalised in November 2022, was 9 Months.

Subclass 801
25% took under 6 Months.
25% took between 6 Months and 10 Months.
25% took between 10 Months and 17 Months.
15% took between 17 Months and 25 Months.
10% took over 25 Months.

Subclass 820
25% took under 6 Months.
25% took between 6 Months and 9 Months.
25% took between 9 Months and 19 Months.
15% took between 19 Months and 38 Months.
10% took over 38 Months.

· Registered
86 Posts
Thank you for your understanding and kind words:) unfortunately yes, there is no single thing that makes us/him cautious, it’s a number of things.
I pray to Jesus this bloody war to stop.
I am not saying it will work but I am wondering if you wrote to the DOHA explaining your situation, hesitancies and fears, whether they may fast track you on compassionate grounds? Probably won’t work but you never know? It might even be worth writing to the Federal Government Minister although he is likely to write back saying he has referred it to the Department for consideration?

In my situation I am the Australian sponsor (like your partner) and I have to say, at times, I am perplexed by the seemingly over-complex system the Government of my Country has in place…it is hardly user friendly; it is expensive and appears to have no logical or systematic approach? Sorry to rant to you about it but I often wonder how couples, whose English is not their first language, cope with the research and the context of what is required with applying for the partner visa?

Don’t get me wrong, I support a strong immigration policy and system but Australia’s can be challenging and complex. Again, sorry for the rant…keep us posted on your progress.😊

· Registered
86 Posts
It's not that bad.

The median average processing time for Subclass 801 Partner visas, that were finalised in November 2022, was 10 Months.

The median average processing time for Subclass 820 Partner visas, that were finalised in November 2022, was 9 Months.

Subclass 801
25% took under 6 Months.
25% took between 6 Months and 10 Months.
25% took between 10 Months and 17 Months.
15% took between 17 Months and 25 Months.
10% took over 25 Months.

Subclass 820
25% took under 6 Months.
25% took between 6 Months and 9 Months.
25% took between 9 Months and 19 Months.
15% took between 19 Months and 38 Months.
10% took over 38 Months.
Hi JandE

I know you post these regularly and you are a very informed and encouraging forum participant and we are grateful for your involvement, but, sometimes these raw percentages could be misleading without greater information such as the raw number of 801s/820s granted for example. For example, if only 4 visa grants are made then 25% only equates to 1 grant, so it is not very encouraging given the number of applications that are reported to be in the system? My example is probably a bit extreme but my point is, more information provided by the DOHA would provide a better understanding.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
Hi JandE

I know you post these regularly and you are a very informed and encouraging forum participant and we are grateful for your involvement, but, sometimes these raw percentages could be misleading without greater information such as the raw number of 801s/820s granted for example. For example, if only 4 visa grants are made then 25% only equates to 1 grant, so it is not very encouraging given the number of applications that are reported to be in the system? My example is probably a bit extreme but my point is, more information provided by the DOHA would provide a better understanding.
I agree that DoHA could do a much better job of giving information.

What they have done has confused people for ages with their way of giving processing times

Reactions: grumpygrant

· Registered
48 Posts
I am not saying it will work but I am wondering if you wrote to the DOHA explaining your situation, hesitancies and fears, whether they may fast track you on compassionate grounds? Probably won’t work but you never know? It might even be worth writing to the Federal Government Minister although he is likely to write back saying he has referred it to the Department for consideration?

In my situation I am the Australian sponsor (like your partner) and I have to say, at times, I am perplexed by the seemingly over-complex system the Government of my Country has in place…it is hardly user friendly; it is expensive and appears to have no logical or systematic approach? Sorry to rant to you about it but I often wonder how couples, whose English is not their first language, cope with the research and the context of what is required with applying for the partner visa?

Don’t get me wrong, I support a strong immigration policy and system but Australia’s can be challenging and complex. Again, sorry for the rant…keep us posted on your progress.😊
I have been thinking to contact the department in about April/May, when it hits 9-10 months waiting mark, if I still hear nothing by then. But I didn’t think to approach them from a point of view of my worries/fears, which might not be a bad idea, as we are all humans and have the right to express concerns, so thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely look at it.

I hear what you are saying regarding the system, and I agree with you. The process can be stressful, not transparent and it should not be like that, not for the money you’re paying. However, I found the actual department website navigation and managing immiaccount to be easy, as I was able to deal with the visa processes on my own (with the exception for the 300 visa), though my English level is not quite high:)

· Registered
86 Posts
I have been thinking to contact the department in about April/May, when it hits 9-10 months waiting mark, if I still hear nothing by then. But I didn’t think to approach them from a point of view of my worries/fears, which might not be a bad idea, as we are all humans and have the right to express concerns, so thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely look at it.

I hear what you are saying regarding the system, and I agree with you. The process can be stressful, not transparent and it should not be like that, not for the money you’re paying. However, I found the actual department website navigation and managing immiaccount to be easy, as I was able to deal with the visa processes on my own (with the exception for the 300 visa), though my English level is not quite high:)
Well, let me give you some encouragement because your written English is excellent, so well done!
I agree with you re Immiaccount navigation, however, I found that the information that I needed to fully understand the processes, required navigation through a maze of DOHA web pages…To me it would have been much better if all information, pertaining to the Visa, was located in the one place?
This forum was such an invaluable resource in educating me to better understand the Partner Visa process.😊

· Registered
48 Posts
Well, let me give you some encouragement because your written English is excellent, so well done
Thank you:)
I agree with you re Immiaccount navigation, however, I found that the information that I needed to fully understand the processes, required navigation through a maze of DOHA web pages…To me it would have been much better if all information, pertaining to the Visa, was located in the one place?
This forum was such an invaluable resource in educating me to better understand the Partner Visa process.😊
This forum is just priceless source of information, it’s helped me tremendously on my 820/801 journey! (And still does). Unfortunately some useful kilometres long threads have disappeared, oh well, that’s life. Now I just simply take a screenshot of whatever I find important/interesting/useful.

· Registered
904 Posts
My brother is also doing the onshore partner visa but with a migration agent so we can compare to see if it's faster 😂 I also wonder if getting married actually helps at all, I've heard it doesn't but some people claim it does. My partner and I got married in December so we'll see!
There are many claims about magic formulas and tricks for quicker grants with absolutely no basis.
Getting married has no impact on helping

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So if it is still of any use to anyone, I received an answer from a support officer in the Department of home affairs in relation to the original question I asked in this thread -
"your partner can update their contact details by completing and returning the attached Form 929 along with a copy of the biodata page(s) in their passport via reply email"

21 - 32 of 32 Posts