Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of visa classes in the family stream can be capped. This means that when the number of visas granted in that class has reached the level set by the Minister for that program year, no further visas can be granted in that class until the following program year begins.

Although a visa can no longer be granted until the start of the new programme year, processing of applications continues and applicants who meet the requirements then wait in a queue for visa grant consideration in a following year, subject to places becoming available.

Example: Family Stream - 2017/18 Partner 47,825

Is there a way to find out if the a cap is reached for the Partner Visa 309/100 for this year.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Partner Visas have reached the cap every year (at most a handful short) for as long as I have looked back - more than 10 years.

In the past it was easier to find statistics and trends - it seemed as if each embassy was given a yearly quota of visas to issue, these were then granted like clock work each month in equal numbers. July was the exception, it was all over the place.

An attempt to reduce application numbers was said to be the reason for the almost doubling of the visa fees a few years back. Since then processing times have continued to increase and planning levels still been meet - so increasing fees did not reduce the visas granted. Don't tell the government that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Confusing to say the least

2017-18 Partner 47,825
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/20planning

But contradictory info here as it is highly unlikely that 47,825 cap is only for Prospective Marriage (fiancé) (subclass 300)

Family Stream
Partner category visas:

Partner (subclasses 309/100 and 820/801) visas cannot be capped.
Prospective Marriage (fiancé) (subclass 300) visas might be subject to capping.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/brin/fami/capping-and-queuing

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
47,825 is a "planning" level of Family Stream visas - it is not a cap, they still accept the applications.

Immigration simply don't issue more than 47,825 visas. If they get more than 47,825 applications the processing times increase.

Think of it like this:- if the current average processing time is 18 months (1.5 years) then the number of current applications on hand is about 71,737 (1.5 x The planning level).

Partner Visa's 309 and 820 can not be capped as I understand for legal reasons (these are family units).

The PMV on the other hand can be capped (but currently is not), these intend to be family units. They can set a yearly limit then refuse to accept applications after that number have been granted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you AMPK for the clarification.

What is the difference between planning level and capping?

Is it when the cap has been reached they stop accepting applications but when planing levels are reached they put you in the queue wait till the next fiscal year to issue visa?

I applied for the partner visa 11 months ago and they have not asked for any further documents lately so I am assuming that I am in the queue

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
A cap is a hard limit on visa numbers, I believe it can be a total number or a total grant (per year). These don't normally effect the type of visa you are applying for.

But if there is a cap there are two ways they play it.

* Cap and Queue - they still accept applications and you go in the queue (some parent visa is up to a 30 year queue).

* Cap only - they just stop taking applications.

The Partner Visas are more like the Cap & Queue but there is no official cap, they just don't issue more visas than the planning level - for this reason many of us consider that it is a cap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Partner Visas are more like the Cap & Queue but there is no official cap, they just don't issue more visas than the planning level - for this reason many of us consider that it is a cap.
Exactly. I believe information about the above practice is not officially available given its a grey area as there is no legal cap, but given the pressure to maintain "planning level limits"

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
They are pretty open about the fact that planning levels will be met & there is no requirement to exceed those levels, so they don't.

That keeps the boss happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.