Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a phone call (glad I answered, I don't normally answer long distance!) from someone in Ottawa. They called to tell me that a case officer has been assigned to my application and they are now reviewing it.

So, is that good news? Do they typically call when this happens or is this just random?

Not sure if I should be excited or just meh about this! Haha.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am nearly as stoked as you btw... can't wait for the golden email update :D
I'm just trying not to get my hopes up! Haha.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I've never heard of them calling just to tell you a CO has been assigned...

If that were normal, they'd be employing people just to make phone calls all day! Then again, it came from Ottawa and with all the fast grants lately maybe they have nothing else to do ��

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've never heard of them calling just to tell you a CO has been assigned...

If that were normal, they'd be employing people just to make phone calls all day! Then again, it came from Ottawa and with all the fast grants lately maybe they have nothing else to do ��
Yeah, that's what is most surprising about it, and for a half second after I hung up I thought "oh fart, did I just give personal info to a scam?"

To be honest, I thought it was bad news at first. But, I guess I can be quite pessimistic. So who knows. I'm not letting it get me too high, I'm just going to expect a long wait still. Now that you said they don't normally call I'm more worried than excited.

Strange.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow, I have not heard of immigration calling just to say a CO has been assigned and they are reviewing an app.

I would definitely take it as a positive though, looks like the wheels are in motion. As someone mentioned a few posts up, maybe they are starting to power through some recent applications - as someone from Canada was approved in less than 2 months recently.

Keep us updated Eh - very curious!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Not sure what they may have asked you or what info you gave, but as a general rule I never give personal information over the phone to someone that called me. I will always ask for their name and department before telling them that I can answer all their questions after I call the number (located on the website) back. The operator can direct you straight to the same person if you get the name.

I've had quite a few calls from the government and though it is a bit of an inconvenience for them, they have always understood and cooperated with me. I have no issue divulging personal information as long as I know that I am talking to who I should be, and that's how I make sure.

Just a tip for future reference!

·
Registered
45 Posts
can you reverse call the number? or at least do a reverse look up online? see if indeed it was Ottawa office calling you

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure what they may have asked you or what info you gave, but as a general rule I never give personal information over the phone to someone that called me. I will always ask for their name and department before telling them that I can answer all their questions after I call the number (located on the website) back. The operator can direct you straight to the same person if you get the name.

I've had quite a few calls from the government and though it is a bit of an inconvenience for them, they have always understood and cooperated with me. I have no issue divulging personal information as long as I know that I am talking to who I should be, and that's how I make sure.

Just a tip for future reference!
Just be mindful of the current advisory .

Canada not specific but definitely in Asia and India

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/migration-fraud-and-scams

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Just be mindful of the current advisory .

Canada not specific but definitely in Asia and India

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/migration-fraud-and-scams
I don't call back on a number they give me as that would defeat the purpose of hanging up and calling back. I would ask for a name, call back the official number located on the government website, then ask to be redirected to that person. If they don't exist, then problem solved. If they do, then we pick up where we left off a few moments prior but now with the security of knowing I'm not giving my information to a scammer.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the High Commission in Ottawa this morning. After reading the replies to this thread, it's clear that this isn't normal and for a moment, I was worried I gave away some crucial personal particulars. Thankfully this was not the case.

Wow, I have not heard of immigration calling just to say a CO has been assigned and they are reviewing an app.
Yes curious to the content of the phone call too.
They weren't calling to tell me that a CO was assigned. I confirmed that this morning. Carol, the nice but stern woman on the phone let me know that the nature of the call was to confirm a change on my application that I noted the night after I submitted. That's something I messed up on. Simple as that.

A CO who is assigned and reviewing the file is the part (in my excitement) that I chose to hear. I was reassured that my application is still being processed by a CO, but so are many other applications. So basically, don't get my hopes up yet.

Good news - the call was real, it was in connection to an error I made.

Bad news - I chose to hear what I thought was good news, but it turns out, my application is still just somewhere in the pile, probably not any closer to the front than anyone else.

I appreciate the concern, the comments and the messages. I feel embarrassed that I posted thinking this was something more than it was.

Ho-hum, back to the bottom of the pile.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Legit embarrassed I even posted this. Fuck.

If a mod wanted to lock it, I wouldn't cry into my pillow about it.

Thanks for all the concern guys. As you were.

·
Registered
45 Posts
no worries.....

I guess we are all on the same boat....anxiously awaiting and seems our lives get put on hold until that grant comes thru. We lodged ours in Nov 2017 and seems like an eternity already......

hopefully they will get to your file sooner than later :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Legit embarrassed I even posted this. Fuck.

If a mod wanted to lock it, I wouldn't cry into my pillow about it.

Thanks for all the concern guys. As you were.
You are fine Eh?
It's an emotional ride.
IMHO - it's good they have been in touch. You front loaded everything - it is likely very Decision ready. You'll see.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All good Eh! No need to feel embarrassed or anything - I would have posted the same if it were me.

It is certainly an emotional and stressful time playing the waiting game. You are essentially putting the life of your partner and your future into the hands of a complete stranger, with an unknown timeframe of any outcome, so nerves are of course to be expected.

I agree, the positive thing is someone is/has looked into your application. Yours may just be on the top of that big pile ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.