Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All

My wife is currently on bridging visa waiting for 820 notification. Am already a PR.

- Can she avail the centrelink benefits after the 2 years wait period if on
bridging visa?
- Can she avail the centrelink benefits after the 2 years wait period if on
820 visa?

She is on the lookout for jobs but market seems very slow and even though am working, unable to plan for future with my pay alone.

If answer is yes for either does she have to register somewhere now itself or wait for 2 years.

Kindly help confirm.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I always thought that people were not eligible to claim benefits from CentreLink for several years after they were granted Permanent Residence, but this outside my area of expertise.

Best bet would be to contact CentreLink and find out.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
My understanding is the only benefits someone can get without being PR and meeting the waiting period requirements are parenting payments. Your wife will not be eligible for newstart payments etc.

I think it is important to remember that as sponsors we sign a form saying that we will take care of the applicant financially for 2 years.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I think it is important to remember that as sponsors we sign a form saying that we will take care of the applicant financially for 2 years.
Not only that: sponsors may have to reimburse the Commonwealth for any benefits paid to the visa applicant during that period.

Reactions: Mish

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Surly not after sponsorship is/has been withdrawn and you have zero idea of if they are in the country or not and they can appeal to the death even after 2 years expires.

My ex left 2 years to the day after PMV granted, in court defending Domestic Violence claims at a inconvenient place, for me in an attempt I would not show - stated she was getting money from Centerlink and at the time was on a 820 for far less than 2 years. I think was around 15 months on the 820 on the day in court that she lost.

So it is a strange area - that I don't know much about other than hearing under oath.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
No Centrelink benefits, other than for Children for 2 years after PR is granted.

New residents may have to wait 104 weeks before they can get most of our payments or use our services. This doesn't apply to family assistance payments.

The waiting period is time spent in Australia as an Australian resident.

You are an Australian resident if you live in Australia and are either:
an Australian citizen
a permanent residence visa holder, or
a protected Special Category visa (SCV) holder
For some people, especially those arriving on a PMV, it can add up to quite a few years.

For my wife, it will be 5 years in Australia before being eligible.

Entered Australia on 300 visa on 18/3/16, we expect/hope the PR to be granted in May 2019, then eligible for Centrelink in maybe May 2021.. That's another 3 years away..

Hope it isn't needed :)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
It seems that everyone in here can say what they like except me. This is not a hobby to me, nor is it a joke. All I want is for people to listen and give me a non bias opinion.

I am sorry if I come across all weird, but that is just my personality. I certainly don't mean anything harsh. I do like to be treated respectfully and feel that there are those on here that bully and put people down.
Last time that was said we all had a beer!

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
You may not like the answers, but I think all your questions have been answered here.

All this nonsense about bullying is wearing a bit thin.

From a professional point of view, I think your sponsorship looks extremely shaky.

Reactions: Novakmurray

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
You make it sound like a business transaction instead of a partner sponsorship.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.