Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have been in australia on and off working for more than two years now and my husband and I have applied for a partner visa in january this year. I am therefore on a bridging visa. I have been sick since last winter and have been unable to work ever since. Been in and out of the emergency department but have gone undiagnosed as i am waiting for a diagnostic surgery. We barely make it through fortnights and most of the time end up having to borrow money to buy food. It is devastating as my husband works more than 44 hours a week and I am bed ridden 99% of the time and am constantly in pain. I know there is a two year waiting period to receive centrelink or any government help and then only with requirements that wouldn't match mine. I'm wondering if there are special cases/ways around it to receive a little help.. has anyone else been in this situation?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Obviously it's not the new life you were hoping for.

Try Centrelink, but they are unlikely to help. The wait is actually longer than 2 years, as they changed the rules and it's now 2 years after you get permanent residency (in effect, 5 years+ for 820 applicants). Special Benefit is something you may be eligible for 2 years after you apply for your visa. So still a while off.

Have you tried contacting the Australian-German Welfare Society? One of their objectives is "help members of the German community with financial or material problems"

HOME - Australian German Welfare Society

Best of luck getting a diagnosis and treatment. I hope things improve soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.