Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I hope this is the right place to ask this as i cant find help anywhere else. I am an international student and is living with my partner (resident). He's job contract is ending soon and therefore will not have a job. He is looking to get newstart but i am a little concern because im not sure if he needs to put me as partner even though im an international student? I have quite an amount of money in my account from my parents for my school fees throughout the years im here. Im now left with the final 20k for my final semester this coming Jan and im worry if centrelink is gonna take that as liquid assets for my partner. I cant use this money to support us as it would mean I wont be able to pay my school fees then!?

Any help?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If you are living with a partner you need to report that to Centrelink, but you can give them the full details.

Centrelink will determine how everything affects you.

You can apply for a ruling to exclude a partner in some circumstances. Centrelink actually told me to apply for that, although it was never granted, as I had too much money myself. I am the Australian in the couple.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are living with a partner you need to report that to Centrelink, but you can give them the full details.

Centrelink will determine how everything affects you.

You can apply for a ruling to exclude a partner in some circumstances. Centrelink actually told me to apply for that, although it was never granted, as I had too much money myself. I am the Australian in the couple.
Thanks JandE!
Do you mind explaining how the ruling to exclude thing works? Im kinda stressing out because if my partner dont get the newstart then we wouldnt be able to pay for the rents. After excluding my uni fees from that amount of money i have i would have left with 8 to 9k for visa application and such. Is that consider alot?

Im guessing the process is declaring everything online in the form and then explain to them during interviews ? Or is there a way to give them information during the initial application?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Thanks JandE!
Do you mind explaining how the ruling to exclude thing works? Im kinda stressing out because if my partner dont get the newstart then we wouldnt be able to pay for the rents. After excluding my uni fees from that amount of money i have i would have left with 8 to 9k for visa application and such. Is that consider alot?

Im guessing the process is declaring everything online in the form and then explain to them during interviews ? Or is there a way to give them information during the initial application?
The ruling works by them deciding it. Not sure of the exact bits, but you need to ask them.
This is from Centrelink:
Special provisions
If it's decided you're a member of a couple but you believe this will result in unfair hardship, contact us on your regular payment line. We may consider you as single under special provisions in the Social Security Act 1991. We assess each request on a case by case basis.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/your-relationship-status

Even if not in a relationship with a person, but living with them, you still need to report that to Centrelink:
If you're single and share a house
You may need to complete and return the relationship details form if you're single and share housing. This includes sharing with anyone other than an immediate family member aged 16 years or older.
From memory, I think they excluded sufficient assets to allow for visa costs, return air fares, and money needed if she returned home if the visa was not granted, but I still had too much, so was kept on the married rate.

Is the money from your parents a loan, ie: will it need to be repaid at some stage? Therefore not totally yours. Just a thought.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ruling works by them deciding it. Not sure of the exact bits, but you need to ask them.
This is from Centrelink:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/your-relationship-status

Even if not in a relationship with a person, but living with them, you still need to report that to Centrelink:

From memory, I think they excluded sufficient assets to allow for visa costs, return air fares, and money needed if she returned home if the visa was not granted, but I still had too much, so was kept on the married rate.

Is the money from your parents a loan, ie: will it need to be repaid at some stage? Therefore not totally yours. Just a thought.
Yea a loan from my parent (can this be explained to centrelink?) although im a mature age student. My dad has also asked me to transfer the exact amount back to him so he can pay it from his side when January comes. I was about to do it but got scared that it might seems dodgy when my partner applied for newstart like 3 weeks later? Wonder if they ask why i transfer part of the money away?

From the statement its pretty obvious that 16k has been taken every semester and the money is getting lesser and lesser finally left with 20k for the last sem. I hope it get approved...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yea a loan from my parent (can this be explained to centrelink?) although im a mature age student. My dad has also asked me to transfer the exact amount back to him so he can pay it from his side when January comes. I was about to do it but got scared that it might seems dodgy when my partner applied for newstart like 3 weeks later? Wonder if they ask why i transfer part of the money away?

From the statement its pretty obvious that 16k has been taken every semester and the money is getting lesser and lesser finally left with 20k for the last sem. I hope it get approved...
Yes, you MUST explain to Centrelink that it is a loan, so they do not class it as your assets.

If you do transfer it, and they ask, you would say you wanted to ensure it is available for that cost, and don't want to risk using it for anything else.

You do also need to declare any of your own income.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you MUST explain to Centrelink that it is a loan, so they do not class it as your assets.

If you do transfer it, and they ask, you would say you wanted to ensure it is available for that cost, and don't want to risk using it for anything else.

You do also need to declare any of your own income.
I've read that liquid assets is basically just funds that are available to use. Is that different from "assets" ?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I've read that liquid assets is basically just funds that are available to use. Is that different from "assets" ?
That might depend on what other assets you have. They do ask for a list of all assets and liabilities; Car, Furniture etc... But these don't affect much unless they are massive amounts.

The assets for the "severe financial hardship provisions" may be different to normal.

You really do need to just apply and see what happens.

It is important to tell them everything honestly. If not, they will probably find out later, and ask for repayment of any over payments.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That might depend on what other assets you have. They do ask for a list of all assets and liabilities; Car, Furniture etc... But these don't affect much unless they are massive amounts.

The assets for the "severe financial hardship provisions" may be different to normal.

You really do need to just apply and see what happens.

It is important to tell them everything honestly. If not, they will probably find out later, and ask for repayment of any over payments.
i understand. thank you for your advance. Im just really terrified that my partner allowance will be put on hold or rejected due to that 20k in my account. May i know if we explain it in the interview when we arrange for one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.