Australia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

This might be a bit of an old chestnut and I do apologize for bringing it up again if so but I am looking for hopefully a definitive answer to this question - do I need to certify the documents I upload for my 190 visa?

So the reason for this confusion is that if it's a paper application you have to submit your documents certified - no question. However, if you're submitting it online the DOHA does not comment on whether documents need to be certified or not from what I can see:

On my immiaccount application I have clicked through the little question marks beside all the required headings and it just seems to make it even more ambiguous.

For example, clicking the Q icon beside 'Travel Document' states: "Provide evidence of your travel document. This may include a certified copy of the personal particulars/photo (bio-data) page." (I bolded may myself). What do they mean - it's up to us to decide? Or that we need to include a certified copy (in which case why didn't they say has to)? Ditto for 'Overseas qualifications, evidence of' also stating: "This may include a certified copy of your academic transcripts..."

Another example is under 'Birth or Age, evidence of'. Click the Q icon and it states: "Provide a certified copy of your full birth certificate." OK, no ambiguity there as not even a may this time. But if you then go down into Document Type to upload your file it gives me multiple ways apparently to prove my age that are not a certified birth certificate (Drivers Licence, Passport, Military ID, Red Cross ID and many many more)!!! So can I use these instead and, if so, do they need to be certified!? To me at least yet more ambiguity on DOHAs part!

I have done a google search on this topic prior to posting this and most posts seem to state that you do not need to certify documents for an online application as long as the copy uploaded is a high quality colour one. But I have seen some posts stating that the entire process is less than opaque and that whether a document needs to be certified or not can be entirely down to the luck of the draw with your case officer.

Thanks for reading, and I'd greatly appreciate some advice going forward. :)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Reactions: doctorstrangelove

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Short and sweet! And yes, damn definitive too! 😄 Thanks Paul for your help! I guess all that certification mumbo-jumbo in the Q icons of the immiaccount upload section must be legacy stuff they never got around to deleting!
It’s logical really … they want a high quality colour scan of the original document. That is much easier to run fraud checks on than a scan of a photocopy of a document (with a random, often unverifiable, ‘certification’).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts