Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day Friends,

I would like to know what are the challenges a newly arrived migrant will face when he lands in Australia especially during the first few years of settling-in!

Of course everybody will have a completely different viewpoint and a lot will depend on which country we migrated from. And that is so much the better so that the entire community will benefit.

To get the ball rolling here is my background followed by a few of the challenges we faced when we first moved in:

An Indian, I moved to Australia in 2014 with my wife on a Permanent Resident Visa (189) and I am presently based in Townsville, North Queensland.

Some of the challenges (not in any particular sequence) we faced:

1) High cost of Living. Coming from an Asian background and with no job in hand the costs of daily living does take a lot getting used to!

2) Obtaining a Drivers Licence : Although I have been driving for over two decades for some reason it took me a few tests and quite a while to get my Aussie licence. Lessons I learnt - Obey Road rules. Do not take the test lightly and most of all keep trying (to obtain the licence).

3) Jobs: That's what most of us are here for anyways isn't it? The biggest hurdle I faced was getting over the requirement of 'Aussie Experience'. It is more of a case of what comes first - The Chicken or the Egg?

4)The Land of DIY : You have landed in the land of Do It Yourself.
From painting your own fence to fixing car's side mirror, the sooner you start picking up skills of of 'handy-man' the sooner you will start saving money.

So what is your take on this subject? Over to You!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to be unpleasant, but it appears you make money by selling e-books giving new migrants advice on what to expect and how to adjust when moving to Aus. And you are fishing for material to add to these books by using a free forum...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment!

Hey Eizzi,

No offense taken. I quite understand your point and I thank you for the comment.
I am sorry I have come across as a person fishing for info. The eBooks I am creating are based on over two years of research that I have done ever since I arrived as a migrant as well as reaching out to key players in the specific industry (Finances, Education,Employment etc.). But more than anything else it is with talking with fellow migrants that I learn so much more. It would be quite presumptuous of me to make comments and statements based solely on my own personal experience.

Lastly this particular thread that I have started is for sharing viewpoints freely with everyone and I do not intend to use this information in the eBooks.

A fellow Migrant!
Jason

Sorry, I don't mean to be unpleasant, but it appears you make money by selling e-books giving new migrants advice on what to expect and how to adjust when moving to Aus. And you are fishing for material to add to these books by using a free forum...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok, fair enough. Thanks for explaining.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You know what, the biggest challenge newly arrived migrants are facing is the hostility of some Australians who seem to think that everyone only comes here to take Australians jobs and to get welfare.

We Australians are not as easy going as we seem to think we are.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You know what, the biggest challenge newly arrived migrants are facing is the hostility of some Australians who seem to think that everyone only comes here to take Australians jobs and to get welfare.

We Australians are not as easy going as we seem to think we are.
Change the word "Australians" to the word "Locals" and you get to see the real situation.

Many other countries appear to be the same.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Number 2 has changed - now if you fail the test they take away your international license and you have to apply for a learners permit and do your learners permit requirement before you can go for your P's.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
"Obtaining a Drivers Licence : Although I have been driving for over two decades for some reason it took me a few tests and quite a while to get my Aussie licence. Lessons I learnt - Obey Road rules."

Seems reason is you were an unsafe driver, I can only guess is for decades you have never thought road rules were important and never followed them.

Makes me wonder if now you follow them after you have a licence?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
4)The Land of DIY : You have landed in the land of Do It Yourself.
With all the laws that apply in Australia to what you are allowed to do yourself, Australia is far from the land of DIY.

Be very wary when doing DIY, and check if you are allowed to first.

No plumbing for example, and no electrical work, not even allowed to change a plug in some States...

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
With all the laws that apply in Australia to what you are allowed to do yourself, Australia is far from the land of DIY.

No plumbing for example, and no electrical work, not even allowed to change a plug in some States...
Indeed!!! To many regulations here on what you can do even on your own home! [very long rant here...]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your comment!

Hi JandE,

Yes you are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing out that fact especially electrical installations!

Cheers
Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.