Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My partner lodged her prospective marriage visa offshore in April 2017. At the time of application on the Notice of Intended Marriage, we put April 15th, 2018 as the tentative wedding date.

She is visiting Australia at the moment.

We received an email from the Department just this week asking her to organise travel to and from Australia, before April 15th, in accordance with our marriage plans.

We have organised this travel for April 4th - April 12th.

However, as we were advised by the Department not to make any wedding plans until we hear confirmation, we have not made any plans beside speaking to a celebrant and discussing a few venues for April 15th. I was under the impression that we had nine months from the date of grant of the visa to get married. Ideally, we would get married in late May, so that way we have slightly more time to plan a nice enough wedding.

Do you know if she just has to leave and return Australia, have the visa granted, and then we can change the date of the wedding and submit a new NOIM immediately upon her return?

Or do we HAVE to get married on April 15th as per the original NOIM?

We do not want to submit any new forms to the Department before she returns to the country on April 12th and has the temporary visa granted, because we do not want to delay the granting of the visa as we have already booked travel.

Thank you in advance,

Aristo.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I was under the impression that we had nine months from the date of grant of the visa to get married. Ideally, we would get married in late May, so that way we have slightly more time to plan a nice enough wedding.

Once the PMV has been granted, your partner needs to enter Australia before the first entry date. You can get married (and apply for the sc.820 visa) any time before the 9 month visa expires, so no need to change the date now.You can usually change the wedding date once for free. Check with the celebrant.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
After the 300 grant, my partner and I did not marry on the date listed on the NOIM. We never updated immigration with a new one after the grant either as we didn't see the point. We did a registry office marriage for the visa with his immediate family and a handful of close friends, applied for the 820/801 within the 9 months and then did a planned wedding the following year as we needed the time to plan it. We didn't bother with any of the big wedding plans until I had the 300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.