Australia Forum banner
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing from non-migrating to migrating dependent


Note: Thread title correction

If I wish to add a child under 18 years of age, my understanding is that I have to complete the following:
Form 1436 "Adding an additional applicant after lodgement"
Form 1229 "Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years"

Question 1. Would it be better to add a child to a 309/100 visa application while they are under 18 ($1755 fee) or over 18 and a full time student ($3505 fee). They won't be emigrating to Australia at least until their studies are complete in 4-5 years or possibly longer than that, though I imagine they would visit regularly. Other than the fee difference, would the application with the child as a non-migrating dependent be more likely to be approved than if they were included as a migrating dependent? Are there any other factors I should be aware of or consider regarding the two paths.

Question 2. Should the completed forms listed above be uploaded under "Attach Documents", as there exists a slot in the drop down menu for both of these forms, or should they be added under "Update Us".

From DIBP website:
Visa options for a child outside Australia
Scenario 3: A child's parent or their parent's partner sponsors them to live in Australia as a permanent resident.
Visa option: Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101)

To apply for a Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101) visa, the child must be:

outside Australia when applying for the visa
sponsored by their parent or their parent's partner.

If a child is 18 years or older, they must be single and either:

a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age and financially dependent on the sponsoring parent; or
unable to work due to disability.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Not open for further replies.