Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all greetings

I have just recently arrived in Australia on a tourist visa which was issued with multiple entry. I have the following questions:

1. I understand that my status on tourist visa wont expire after 3 months of stay. May I know how to change the tourist visa status to Bridging Visa A?

2. Specifically, I am always confused with the term substantive visa.
Do I need to apply for a substantive visa first before I can apply for bridging visa A?

3. If so, how do I apply for a substantive visa with a tourist visa status?

4. Can I apply Bridging Visa via online?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You are on a substantive visa.

I don't think it is possible to apply for a Bridging Visa A - they are a by product of applying for another visa application.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
*^ as ampk said, you won't get a bridging visa unless you apply for another substansative visa.

If you are eligible for and apply for another substansative visa and the current visa expires before a decision is made on your new visa then you will go onto a bridging visa A, assuming you are in the country.

"A substantive temporary visa is any visa other than a bridging visa, criminal justice or enforcement visa, which allows the visa holder to remain temporarily in Australia."

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I am pretty sure it can be possible that they can apply for a Bridging Visa E - but that would be crazy!

But I have seen a lot of crazy!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You are on a tourist visa, which is a substantive visa.

You can’t apply for a bridging visa, unless you also validly apply in Australia for another substantive visa that can be granted while you are in Australia.

Why do you want a bridging visa?

Reactions: dbx0000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are on a substantive visa.

I don't think it is possible to apply for a Bridging Visa A - they are a by product of applying for another visa application.
noted with thanks but I have heard quite a number of tourist visa holders who are able to obtain a bridging visa A.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are on a tourist visa, which is a substantive visa.

You can't apply for a bridging visa, unless you also validly apply in Australia for another substantive visa that can be granted while you are in Australia.

Why do you want a bridging visa?
To possibly extend the stay and be able to work on Bridging Visa A?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You can apply for another tourist visa or any other visa that you qualify for, unless you have a “no further stay condition” on your current visa. You cannot apply for a BVA or obtain work rights in your current situation. Maybe go and see a Registered Migration Agent to discuss your options?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
noted with thanks but I have heard quite a number of tourist visa holders who are able to obtain a bridging visa A.
Because they have applied for another visa as well.

If you hold a tourist visa and you apply for an 820/801 defacto visa you will be granted a bridging visa A as well. This way when your current visa expires you can lawfully remain in the country whilst immigration make sure a decision on the 820/801 application. If that applications unsuccessful the BVA will then terminate shortly after (depending on a few things but again symantics in comparison with this conversation).

A bridging visa is just that. A visa designed to bridge between 2 other visas in order to remain lawful (I'm not going into BVE as that's another kettle of fish).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pretty sure it can be possible that they can apply for a Bridging Visa E - but that would be crazy!

But I have seen a lot of crazy!
Interesting little unknown (to ME) category of BVE ,

A Bridging visa E (BVE) is a temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia while you finalise your immigration matter or make arrangements to leave Australia.

There are two types of BVEs:
Bridging (General) visa (subclass 050) - generally if you are currently unlawful, the holder of a BVE 050 or the holder of a BVD 041.
Bridging (Protection Visa Applicant) visa (subclass 051) - used in limited circumstances for eligible non-citizens (as specified by the Regulations) who are not prevented from making a bridging visa application under the Migration Act or Regulations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can apply for another tourist visa or any other visa that you qualify for, unless you have a "no further stay condition" on your current visa. You cannot apply for a BVA or obtain work rights in your current situation. Maybe go and see a Registered Migration Agent to discuss your options?
My existing tourist visa has no restriction and therefore there isnt "no further stay condition" stated.

So there are different categories of tourist visas? I cant think of another visa category that i can apply for beside the partner visa.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because they have applied for another visa as well.

If you hold a tourist visa and you apply for an 820/801 defacto visa you will be granted a bridging visa A as well. This way when your current visa expires you can lawfully remain in the country whilst immigration make sure a decision on the 820/801 application. If that applications unsuccessful the BVA will then terminate shortly after (depending on a few things but again symantics in comparison with this conversation).

A bridging visa is just that. A visa designed to bridge between 2 other visas in order to remain lawful (I'm not going into BVE as that's another kettle of fish).
Noted with thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My existing tourist visa has no restriction and therefore there isnt "no further stay condition" stated.

So there are different categories of tourist visas? I cant think of another visa category that i can apply for beside the partner visa.
As your intention is to stay onshore to achieve working conditions a visitor visa isn't really applicable to you as that's not what a visitor visa is for

Are you eligible for a working holiday visa?

Do you have any specific skills or qualifications? Electrician, doctor, nurse, mechanic?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
With all due respect you don't know how the system works - key word is obtain.

Now when you explain how you will "apply" for a Bridging Visa A, let me know as I am very interested.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You've heard wrong or you have misunderstood what you've heard. Forget about bridging visas. You are here on a tourist visa, presumably with the purpose of having a holiday. If you want to know what options may be available to you, your best bet is to get some professional advice and not listen to fairy tales and rumours.

Reactions: philipg and dbx0000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi folks greetings once again

I have met up a group of farm workers who arrived australia on tourist visas initially. They applied for protection visa 866 from the tourist visas and now they are on BVA.

I have taken snapshot of their VEVO status for three of them and i will type of of them as below:

Visa Description - Bridging
Visa Status: In Effect
Family Name
Given name(s)

Entitlements

Work Entitlements

The visa holder has unlimited work rights

Study Entitlements

The visa holder has unlimited study rights

Personal details

Passport/Immicars Number

Visa Applicant

Primary

Onshore

Visa Detaills

Visa Grant Number

Visa Grant date

** March 2017

Visa Class / Subclass

WA/010

Entries Allowed

No Travel

Period of Stay

Indefinite

Visa type

Bridging Visa

In short, I am FULLY CONFIDENCE one can get a BVA from tourist visa and in this particular case, the substantive visa is 866.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That doesn't contradict any information that you have been provided.
As has been mentioned to get a bridging visa you need to be onshore on a substantive visa (such as a tourist visa) and then apply for a visa such as the protection in the example you gave and the bridging visa will kick in at the end of your tourist visa. you don't technically apply for it individually.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Bridging visa application made in association with a substantive visa application

A person who makes a valid application, in Australia, for a substantive visa of a kind that can be granted while the person is in Australia, also makes an "automatic" application for a BVA, BVC or BVE (depending on their circumstances and status).

Note that there are some exceptions to this rule.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It sounds to me like you want to stay and work in Australia.

There are visas designed for this, the brdiging visa is not one. Maybe you should look for the legal way to stay instead of wasting immigration resources applying for a visa you are not going to be granted?

If yo apply for a protection visa and it gets rejected getting any visa in the future, in any country, will turn out more complex (even tourist visas).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.