Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not happy with my immigration lawyers

They have literally given me the wrong information regarding the transition into the bridging visa.

I have paid them half their fees, do I have to pay them the rest?

Will I get in trouble if I get rid of them? I don’t want them to ruin my partner visa application 😭

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I'm not happy with my immigration lawyers

They have literally given me the wrong information regarding the transition into the bridging visa.

I have paid them half their fees, do I have to pay them the rest?

Will I get in trouble if I get rid of them? I don't want them to ruin my partner visa application 😭
Are they lawyers or registered migration agents only?

What does your cost agreement/ contract say?

Do they have a complaints procedure in place?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my story.

I had a meeting with a lawyer who is MARA registered

I then get contacted by another lawyer at that firm , probably on his behalf, working with him. I don’t think this other person is MARA registered.

I then get contacted by the legal assistant asking for documents I had already sent to the other lawyer, which is pretty frustrating.

When I questioned them about my partner and his transfer from tourist visa to BVA , they sent me emails to say that he would have to cancel his tourist visa, they would apply for a BVE for him and then we would apply for working rights.
This advice is obviously COMPLETLY incorrect

What can I do about this ?

Does it actually matter if the are MARA registered? Like is that a matter I can raise?

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
It makes a significant difference if you are dealing with a lawyer or a registered migration agent.

In the first instance you should take your concerns to them and ask for a refund.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
If you have a legitimate complaint about a registered migration agent and they are not willing to resolve it, you can complain to the MARA:
https://www.mara.gov.au/using-an-ag...h-your-agent/make-a-complaint-about-an-agent/

If they are a law firm as well as migration agents, I'm not sure what the procedure is, but it is not hard to find out. Lawyers typically provide all that information in their initial letter confirming your instructions.

Do you have a cost agreement or contract, detailing exactly what you agreed in terms of services and fees?

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
I asked for a copy of the cost agreement and the reply I got was if I wanted to terminate and haven't sent the cost agreement yet
That statement you made does not seem a reply to a request.

This is what you say is the reply from a Lawyer/RMA " if I wanted to terminate and haven't sent the cost agreement yet

I have very high doubt that was the exact reply and you are mixing words - be exact or look like you are a lot of the problem.

If that is their exact wording I will apologize - But I think you are using your words.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I asked for a copy of the cost agreement and the reply I got was if I wanted to terminate and haven't sent the cost agreement yet
I don't really understand what you mean. Please try and be a bit more precise.

As a rule I won't comment on what another lawyer or agent may have advised unless I have seen that advice in writing. Too often people misunderstand or misconstrue advice given.

If you entered into an agreement to provide services with a legitimate agency (still not quite clear if it is a law firm or not) they would have given you an agreement or contract, which you would have read and signed . You would also have a copy of the agreement you entered into.

Without exact and factual information it is impossible to provide any useful comment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.