Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope you’re all well.

My husband and I got married at the end of May after our PMV 300 was granted and we are planning to apply for the next part of the visa by the end of July (the PMV expires in September)

I have to change all my names and marital status on my official things like Centrelink, Medicare, health insurance, etc

I am a bit stuck on doing this as when (god willing) the partner visa is granted, my husband will want to sign up for Medicare, insurance, etc too and being a married couple we will have to be in it together.

Should I wait to change my marital status with these things until after the partner visa is granted? Or should I begin now?

Sorry if that sounds a little confusing, I am confused a bit myself.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Sarah.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
To avoid confusion and additional hassles I usually recommend my clients to wait with name changes until the visa has been granted.

However, if you feel very strongly about it, you'll just have to go through the various processes of changing your name and provide current and previous name(s) on the application.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To avoid confusion and additional hassles I usually recommend my clients to wait with name changes until the visa has been granted.

However, if you feel very strongly about it, you'll just have to go through the various processes of changing your name and provide current and previous name(s) on the application.
That's not illegal or will cause any troubles will it?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've changed my name after we were granted the 820. The only thing left to change is my bank and my passport. I don't apply for the 801 until October, so hopefully there aren't any issues. My thinking is that it definitely shows our continuing relationship. I also updated my IMMI account. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause problems!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I've changed my name after we were granted the 820. The only thing left to change is my bank and my passport. I don't apply for the 801 until October, so hopefully there aren't any issues. My thinking is that it definitely shows our continuing relationship. I also updated my IMMI account. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause problems!
Same. Only thing that hasn't changed is my passport which I'm waiting to do until after the 801. Not too worried about this being different as I've given immigration my maiden and married name and don't have any conditions on my visa requiring me to use the same name. I use my married name for everything else. If I ever need to show my passport for identification purposes or my visa grant letter (as they both have my maiden name), I just show my Aussie licence with my married name and my legal marriage certificate that lists my maiden name and husband's surname and I've had no issues.

I didn't intend to do it until after the 801 but when I applied for my licence, I applied in my maiden name and they called and asked me if I wanted to use my married name. Said yes over the phone and they sent me the licence in my married name and so I started using that. Only downfall is because I signed the form for my licence in my maiden name as that's the name I applied under, when they changed it to my married surname they kept the same signature so now I have to legally sign in my maiden name as my signature needs to match my signature on my licence lol. Won't get that fixed for a few years when it's up for renewal!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Same. Only thing that hasn't changed is my passport which I'm waiting to do until after the 801. Not too worried about this being different as I've given immigration my maiden and married name and don't have any conditions on my visa requiring me to use the same name. I use my married name for everything else. If I ever need to show my passport for identification purposes or my visa grant letter (as they both have my maiden name), I just show my Aussie licence with my married name and my legal marriage certificate that lists my maiden name and husband's surname and I've had no issues.

I didn't intend to do it until after the 801 but when I applied for my licence, I applied in my maiden name and they called and asked me if I wanted to use my married name. Said yes over the phone and they sent me the licence in my married name and so I started using that. Only downfall is because I signed the form for my licence in my maiden name as that's the name I applied under, when they changed it to my married surname they kept the same signature so now I have to legally sign in my maiden name as my signature needs to match my signature on my licence lol. Won't get that fixed for a few years when it's up for renewal!
Wow! That's a bit tedious, I bet! You can go in and inform them of the error on your license and they'll fix it. For me, I'm having to get my marriage certificate corrected. Because my birth date is listed month then day on my American birth certificate and my American passport, my wedding officiant accidentally switched dates on my wedding certificate...so now it doesn't match all of my other documents with my birth date. We didn't catch it until I went to get my new driver's license. So, my officiant is getting it corrected for me. I figured that I may as well get my passport done. It's free for me, as long as I do it within a year of marriage. And it's much faster renewing my American passport here in Australia, than it is in America. Funny how that works, eh? LOL But before I can change my passport, I have to have my marriage certificate corrected. It's crazy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Wow! That's a bit tedious, I bet! You can go in and inform them of the error on your license and they'll fix it. For me, I'm having to get my marriage certificate corrected. Because my birth date is listed month then day on my American birth certificate and my American passport, my wedding officiant accidentally switched dates on my wedding certificate...so now it doesn't match all of my other documents with my birth date. We didn't catch it until I went to get my new driver's license. So, my officiant is getting it corrected for me. I figured that I may as well get my passport done. It's free for me, as long as I do it within a year of marriage. And it's much faster renewing my American passport here in Australia, than it is in America. Funny how that works, eh? LOL But before I can change my passport, I have to have my marriage certificate corrected. It's crazy. :rolleyes:
Haha, I can see how that would happen.

And yeah I could but I'd have to pay for a replacement licence and I had just paid for the 5 year one at the time so couldn't be bothered. I'll just wait until it's closer to expiring and sort it then lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.