Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that DIAC goes as deep as asking us for the name of any dissertation/thesis done by us and the name of the thesis supervisor.

Why does DIAC request this information?

Does it contact tutors/referees/supervisors for our character assessment?

If yes, what kind of feedback does it collect? Does the feedback impact my character assessment?

Broadly, what kind of checks does a moral character assessment include?

Thanks people! :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
They never give out the reason why they call. It is usually a general call and whoever they call will never know its for visa purposes.

Whenever they do checks they try to contact an organisation directly rather than tutor/supervisor.

This is not an immigration advice

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I am not even sure if the professor who supervised my thesis still remembers me - I was an incredibly average student! It worries me. I'm fairly sure he'd remember my name... but honestly - what would you think if someone from a country you have nothing to do with called you about someone you used to know? I can't imagine him being thrilled with the call. If someone from, say, Russia (just to name a country I have no relation or physical proximity to) called me about someone I used to supervise I'd be like... "is this a prank call?"

But I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm not really sure why they'd want to call a Dutch ancient history professor about a thesis about an ancient Macedonian dynasty but if that's what they want to do, I can't really stop them.

I do have to say it gives me a very powerless feeling that the words of people I haven't spoken to in years who hardly spoke to me then will influence my visa. My professor was a very chaotic man, he was hardly ever there and a big fan of "just send it over when you're done and I'll give you feedback" - there was no intense collaboration there...

·
Registered
833 Posts
If they need to contact they will rather send a communication to the university saying "Please confirm Nelly X graduated with a thesis XXXX supervised by Prof XXXX"

Or something along above lines. So even if your professor forgets your university should have relevant records :). Everything should be fine. Don't worry.

This is not an immigration advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.