Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Do Child Birth/Delivery cost covered by Medicare Australia? if yes, to what extent?
I have PR visa but my wife have visitor visa, so she is not covered under medicare but i am... in this case also Do all the cost related to child birth re-imburse by medicare? I read somewhere that either parent should have PR status to claim child birth/delivery cost from medicare? I also mailed to medicare Australia..their response is that as your wife would be the patient & she is not covered under medicare so child deliver cost will not be covered by medicare even if father is covered.

Please comment.

thanks

Regards,
robin

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
People on visitor visas are not covered by medicare unless they are from a country with reciprocal health care rights with Australia and they are very few so I do not know where you read about a husband having PR giving coverage to a wife on a visitor visa.
I think the advice you have from medicare is probably correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People on visitor visas are not covered by medicare unless they are from a country with reciprocal health care rights with Australia and they are very few so I do not know where you read about a husband having PR giving coverage to a wife on a visitor visa.
I think the advice you have from medicare is probably correct.
Hi Wanderer,

Thanks for your instant reply. What's the cost related to child birth/delivery including ultrsounds, GP consultation, hospital bills etc. in Australia?

My second question is: What are the chances of getting Spouse visa for her taking into account that i still have not moved to Australia, as on now working in India. However, I have made my initial entry alongwith my wife. And also, my wife is a professional & her skill is on both SOL & MODL.

Regards,

Robin

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Costs can vary enormously and will depend on just how many services are used, whether there are any complications, a natural or ceasar birth, how long in hospital and whether a public or private hospital and all up it could ultimayely be a bill in excess of $10,000 but possibly less, maybe somewhere closer to $5000 if everything went smoothly in a public hospital.
Being on a PR visa it is expected that you are normally resident in Australia to be eligible to sponsor a partner and your wife's skills have nothing to do with it, the MODL btw no longer existent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.