Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We currently live in the UK but are applying for citizenship for my husband (and son). He has a permanent visa due to expire Sept 2010.

I have Australian citizenship (dual UK nationality). We lived in Sydney for 14 months but left in Jan 07. Technically my husband should have been living in Australia for 2 years before he can apply for citizenship however there is a discretion that allows for "a close and continuing association with Australia" during time spent overseas.

We are in the UK at the moment (have been since Jan 07) but would like to return to Sydney at some point in the future. When, we don't know because of our business here... We believe we have maintained a close and continuing association with Australia during our absence but as this is a relatively new discretion we're been unable to find any details on what the immigration office define it as.

We have an Australian bank account and credit card (nominal funds in the account), my husband is a director of an active Australian business and also an inactive one (has an ABN number but little else), we both have superannuation funds and we have various family members in Sydney and Canberra.

Has anyone got citizenship this route and what constituted a close and continuing association in your case? We really need to know what proof they need but no one at the embassy is offering any guidance. It seems to me it is decided on a case by case basis rather than there being a set list or requirements.....but I really don't know.

Any advice/thoughts gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
hey there,

Since no one else is replying, i thought i would give you some "thoughts" but but but I am not %100 sure as i have no applied for citizenship or read up on it.

What you described does sound like a continuing association--i mean what else do they want? that you go back every weekend? Plus, your financial stuff in Oz..doesn't that mean that you still pay tax?

I would call up immigration and have a chat to them--tell them what you said on this website and just say that you are trying to assess your eligibility but that you want the association thing defined...

Since you husband already has perment visa too, i would assume that that would only help your cause...right?

Good luck to you, hope the immi people can help you out more than i can =)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.