Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm Australian. My wife is a Permanent Resident.

- We moved back to Australia in January 2018
- In late September 2017 we applied for Citizenship by Descent for our three children who were born in the USA.
- As we hadn't received their citizenship, we applied for ETA's for them when we moved to Australia in January.
- It's been over 5 months now since we applied, but I am concerned as their visa waiver expires April 1st.
- If we don't get their Citizenship by April 1st, can we get a bridging visa? Or is there another visa we can apply for while we wait on their Citizenship?

Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's a very long time to be waiting for citizenship by decent. You'd be over the 6 month limit (90% processed within 6 months), so you'd be within your rights to file a complaint at this stage. Citizenship applicants are not eligible for a bridging visa, that would be only for onshore visa applicants, as far as I know.

What does status in immiaccount say? Have you updated them with your postal address in Australia?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought also. A couple of weeks ago, it said 90% of applications processed in 5 months, then it changed recently to 6 months. I thought for sure we would have it by now, but some others have posted they are also waiting (those who applied from USA).

right now, I'm at 5 months and a week. I will only have about 3 days left on the kids ETA when I'm eligible to file a complaint.

What happens if we overstay the ETA? I don't really feel like making a trip to NZ to get another 3 months on their ETA's.

Immi account status says "Received". I've updated mailing address to Australia.

·
Registered
814 Posts
What happens if we overstay the ETA? .
Normally this would not be recommended for obvious reasons. To be honest I'm not sure what effect it would have, if any, for folks who are waiting on a decision for citizenship by decent :confused:

Maybe a consult with an RMA wouldn't go astray - if nothing else to put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I would certainly contact a RMA also your local Federal Member of Parliament to get it chased up.

The overstay I would not do unless you can be certain it will have no effect - other countries like Australia often ask about previous visa history and it is a forever thing the kids might have.

My back up would be a day or weekend to the cheapest overseas location NZ, Vanuatu, Fiji as examples.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good advice from ampk!

The overstay I would not do unless you can be certain it will have no effect - other countries like Australia often ask about previous visa history and it is a forever thing the kids might have.
Hadn't thought of that. Yes, even if there are no issues for them overstaying in Aus, there may be consequences anytime they want to travel elsewhere in future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke with an Immigration Lawyer, he suggested I apply for a Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/600-

He said I could apply for my children under the family sponsored, but after looking into it more, I thought it may be easier and quicker to go for the tourist extension for them. Any advise on this?

Also, I believe the moment we apply onshore for the Subclass 600 we automatically are granted the Bridging Visa for 28 days?

thanks for any advise/thoughts on above!

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I doubt it is 28 days - think it is until the Visitor Visa decision is made so can be longer/shorter.

Not 100% but thought the onshore fee/s from the ETA or another Visitor Visa were quite high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.