Australia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just submitted my son’s application for citizenship by descent and wanted to find out what the current average processing times are. I have seen the official communication on the Immiaccount page, but I was just wondering what the timing was in practice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my citizenship test at Parramatta on the 1 Feb 2021 and it's still showing Received on my immi Account. I have seen many getting their approval same day. Might it be an issue or its normal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

I would like to get some help please.

we got married last year Nov 2020 and My wife 309 Visa got approved on 9th April 2021 ( entre Australia by 9th April 2022) we were 3 months pregnant at the time and could not travel back to Australia because of some complication in the pregnancy hence the child delivery took place in India.

I have applied for the Child's Citizenship by descent. I see on the Immi website that the application will be processed in Australia. I have few questions regarding that.

Timeline
Date of Birth of Child - 28.08.2021
Date of Citizenship by descent applied on 01.09.2021
Geniric Documents uploaded - for parents and Hospital discharged summary - 01.09.2021
Birth Certificate of Child attached on - 03.09.2021 ( delay because it was issued on 3rd Sep from the registry)

1. Does anyone has applied citizenship by descent in India ( eventhough the application is processed in Australia ) and any idea of the processing time for the applications from India
2. we are bit affraid that what if we miss the deadline of travel for my wife becasue of the delay in child's citizenship document and Passport. Is there a way we can request for extention. Seems quite hard task to book the fligts at the moment from India
3. I have also sent an email to the department explaining them the situation even though the application is still way under the processing timeline. we have asked if there is any document deemed missing from us so please let us know becasue it takes time to get any document from Local goverment bodies in India,
4. Do we required to submit AFP report or Indian Police Clearance for the Parents.

Your help would be highly appreciated. Looking forward to getting some answers.

Regards

V

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

Though I don’t have experience from applying in India I am in a very similar position to you. My 309 expires in Feb but was pregnant when approved and decided to have the baby in the UK. We have flights booked in Jan and we were very apprehensive about being able to get citizenship for our daughter in time as it had taken 8 months for my sons to be approved last year.

1. Does anyone has applied citizenship by descent in India ( eventhough the application is processed in Australia ) and any idea of the processing time for the applications from India

Don’t know about India but I applied from UK for my daughters citizenship via decent end of August and was approved on Friday after being processed in Australia. It was just over 3 weeks. And you don’t have to wait for the certificate to apply for a passport you can use a reference on the letter.

2. we are bit affraid that what if we miss the deadline of travel for my wife becasue of the delay in child's citizenship document and Passport. Is there a way we can request for extention. Seems quite hard task to book the fligts at the moment from India.

I know the Australian government are extending visas if you cannot not gain entry before your ‘enter before date’ because of COVID and their travel restrictions. I believe you have to wait until this date has passed before you can apply for the extension. A little stressful I know.

4. Do we required to submit AFP report or Indian Police Clearance for the Parents.

I didn’t have to do this from the UK for either of my children, the only thing I did submit was proof that the parent had lived in Australia for more than 3 years.

I know short lead flights are tough to come by at the moment but long lead ones do seem to be available. If I was you would get flights booked for the start of next year, it gives you a couple months for citizenship and passport to come through. (I don’t know what the aus passport processing times are like in India but here in the UK it is 4/6 weeks. Though my sons only took 2 weeks)
Then if flights are cancelled due to travel/entry restrictions you have the proof you need to provide to the Australian government that you tried to enter before your wife’s enter before date and they can extend the visa from that.
Also as far as I am aware in the worse case, you would be able to travel to Aus with your baby on an another passport and evisa whilst you wait for their citizenship to be confirmed. This was something we were considering.

hope this helps a little for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello

Though I don’t have experience from applying in India I am in a very similar position to you. My 309 expires in Feb but was pregnant when approved and decided to have the baby in the UK. We have flights booked in Jan and we were very apprehensive about being able to get citizenship for our daughter in time as it had taken 8 months for my sons to be approved last year.

Don’t know about India but I applied from UK for my daughters citizenship via decent end of August and was approved on Friday after being processed in Australia. It was just over 3 weeks. And you don’t have to wait for the certificate to apply for a passport you can use a reference on the letter.

2. we are bit affraid that what if we miss the deadline of travel for my wife becasue of the delay in child's citizenship document and Passport. Is there a way we can request for extention. Seems quite hard task to book the fligts at the moment from India.

I know the Australian government are extending visas if you cannot not gain entry before your ‘enter before date’ because of COVID and their travel restrictions. I believe you have to wait until this date has passed before you can apply for the extension. A little stressful I know.

I didn’t have to do this from the UK for either of my children, the only thing I did submit was proof that the parent had lived in Australia for more than 3 years.

I know short lead flights are tough to come by at the moment but long lead ones do seem to be available. If I was you would get flights booked for the start of next year, it gives you a couple months for citizenship and passport to come through. (I don’t know what the aus passport processing times are like in India but here in the UK it is 4/6 weeks. Though my sons only took 2 weeks)
Then if flights are cancelled due to travel/entry restrictions you have the proof you need to provide to the Australian government that you tried to enter before your wife’s enter before date and they can extend the visa from that.
Also as far as I am aware in the worse case, you would be able to travel to Aus with your baby on an another passport and evisa whilst you wait for their citizenship to be confirmed. This was something we were considering.

hope this helps a little for you.
Hi mate,

thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

3 weeks sounds really great. I hope we get in to that timeline.
Have you applied for the passport yet?

In regards to fights its really hard getting it from India. Since its on high risk zone.

Regards,

V

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi mate,

thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

3 weeks sounds really great. I hope we get in to that timeline.
Have you applied for the passport yet?

In regards to fights its really hard getting it from India. Since its on high risk zone.

Regards,

V
have you uploaded any specific documents which may have help getting it in 3 weeks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts