Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How do I define lawful residence in Australian, given I need 4 years of it to apply for citizenship?

For example, lots of my residence here has been in Air BNBs and short term rentals paid for by my employer, would this cause trouble as I don't have year long leases to prove I have been in Australia for this long?

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Oh, well then that's easy. Would that not mean somebody could just leave the country and apply several years later, so long as the visa is still valid?
No because there are requirements on how long they can be out of Australia. They also need to have PR for atleast 1 year.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
DHA explains the residency requirement on their website:

"General residence requirement

The general residence requirement is based on the amount of time you have lived in Australia.

You must meet all of the following:

- have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
- must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.