Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've got a question in regards to citizenship eligibility (residence requirement).

I was granted the 309 and100 visas in February 2017 and made my first entry in March 2017. So based on the old and proposed new requirements, I would be eligible for citizenship in March 2021.

My partner is an australian public servant.

Now, initially our plan was to reside in Australia for at least 4 years before my partner would apply for postings abroad, but now an oportunity may arise (chances are 50/50 that he'll be appointed for the posting) to go abroad next year (so 2 years before I'm eligible for citizenship). The posting would be 2 or 3 years and I would therefore not be able to satisfy the residency requirements.

Now, my question is: Are there exceptions to the residency requirements that we can make use of? He is working for the federal government here in Canberra and he would be abroad in an official capacity.

We'll base our decision to accept the posting on my visa/citizenship status, as we don't want to mess around with RRVs and a delayed grant of citizenship (good jobs that don't require australian citizenship are rare in Canberra). That being said, German bureaucracy for dual citizenship is another hurdle...

For now I'm just after a "yes, it's generally possible" or a "nope, not possible" and a hint towards relevant publications/legislation. Also an idea if exceptions are complicated to get (read: can we do it ourselves or do we need professional help to do the paperwork? (do RMAs do citizenship applications, too? If not, who does?)).

Thanks in advance for any hints, ideas and shared experience!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Yes, there are exceptions if the Australian citizen spouse is posted abroad. You should be able to find the relevant details on the DHA website.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
What's DHA? Defence Housing?
I was wondering when the confusion would begin with the recent name change...

Department of Home Affairs
v
Defence Housing Australia

Reactions: JanneKL
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.