Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have concerns about the moment, when I will be eligible to apply for citizenship. My visa history is following:
June 2014 – November 2015 recognised graduate visa
Then I was away and did not have any visa for 2 months December 2015 – January 2016
February 2016 – November 2017 student visa, overseas holidays June – mid July 2017
November 2017 – February 2018 bridging visa A
February 2018 – April 2018 Student visa
April 2018 – bridging visa A to visa 190
I will apply for a bridging visa B in the meantime, I am planning to be away May – August 2018.

I am wondering if the whole time from the first arrival is eligible to the 4 year period? Or maybe eligible time starts from the student visa, which started on February 2016? Also, do all my bridging visas account for the required time?

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Bridging visas do count, but of course the rules for citizenship eligibility are currently being debated so what works now may not work at the time you are ready to apply. So I wouldn't worry about it until you actually get your PR visa and see what the landscape looks like after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello again,
I would like to renew my question about citizenship. As there was no major changes in the citizenship rules so far, maybe there is someone who will be able to answer my question: When I will be eligible to apply for citizenship? My visa history is following:
June 2014 – November 2015 recognised graduate visa
Then I was away and did not have any visa for 2 months December 2015 – January 2016
February 2016 – November 2017 student visa, overseas holidays June – mid July 2017
November 2017 – February 2018 bridging visa A
February 2018 – April 2018 Student visa
April 2018 – bridging visa A to visa 190
May 2018 – bridging visa B to visa 190
June 2018 – visa 190
I am wondering if the whole time from the first arrival is eligible to the 4 year period? Or maybe eligible time starts from the student visa, which started on February 2016?

Thanks for your help people :)

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Hello again,
I would like to renew my question about citizenship. As there was no major changes in the citizenship rules so far, maybe there is someone who will be able to answer my question: When I will be eligible to apply for citizenship? My visa history is following:
June 2014 - November 2015 recognised graduate visa
Then I was away and did not have any visa for 2 months December 2015 - January 2016
February 2016 - November 2017 student visa, overseas holidays June - mid July 2017
November 2017 - February 2018 bridging visa A
February 2018 - April 2018 Student visa
April 2018 - bridging visa A to visa 190
May 2018 - bridging visa B to visa 190
June 2018 - visa 190
I am wondering if the whole time from the first arrival is eligible to the 4 year period? Or maybe eligible time starts from the student visa, which started on February 2016?

No you are not eligible from when you first arrived as you stated that did not have a visa for 2 months and the citizenship rules state that you must hold a valid visa. Therefore, your time counts from when you arrived back in Australia in February 2016. You will be eligible for citizenship in February 2020 unless the rules change.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Hello again,
June 2014 - November 2015 recognised graduate visa
Then I was away and did not have any visa for 2 months December 2015 - January 2016
February 2016 - November 2017 student visa, overseas holidays June - mid July 2017
November 2017 - February 2018 bridging visa A
February 2018 - April 2018 Student visa
April 2018 - bridging visa A to visa 190
May 2018 - bridging visa B to visa 190
June 2018 - visa 190

The "lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years" would mean that any period without a visa will restart the clock.

So, February 2016, should be your start date, unless you have any other periods since, where you did not hold a visa.

No one knows what might change before you are eligible in Feb 2020.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for a quick reply JandE and Mish!

The reason I am confused about the time when I will be eligible is because the government website about the general residence requirement says:

“At the time you apply you must have been:
• living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
• a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
• away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months”

Therefore, all my absences from Australia are in the range of no more than 12 months in the past 4 years. The whole time when I was present in Australia I held a valid visa.

Is there a chance that it might be an officer’s decision if that time is eligible? Or definitely no and as JandE wrote any period without a visa will restart the clock?

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
If you see the first point it says "living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years", you did not have a valid visa for the past 4 years. If you had left Australia on a BVB (or another visa with travel with rights) then the time from June 2014 would have counted but as you left with no visa it restarts the clock when you re-enter Australia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.