Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I was just checking the eligibility for citizenship and could do with some help.
Under the eligibility criteria it states that you must have lived in Australia for 4 years immediately before applying for citizenship, on a valid visa, but also states that you may have had up to 1 year outside of Australia in those 4 years.
I arrived in June 2013, had a 2 year working holiday visa until 2015, then had to leave until December 2015 as I needed to hit 25 before I had enough points to get my 189. Would those 6 months without a visa rule me ineligible, or would I be ok because it was under a year?
Thanks for any help,
Paul

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
My understanding is that you need to have held a valid visa for those 4 years. What I read was that if you don't hold a valid visa then anything before that time will not count towards citizenship.

You may want to ring DIBP and ask (or a migration agent might respond) to confirm but that is what I understand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that you need to have held a valid visa for those 4 years. What I read was that if you don't hold a valid visa then anything before that time will not count towards citizenship.

You may want to ring DIBP and ask (or a migration agent might respond) to confirm but that is what I understand.
Thanks mate, that was how I read it too, I just hoped differently. I've been into the department of immigration in Perth and they told me to go online, absolutely no help at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.