Australia Forum banner
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

· Registered
7,406 Posts
So who send the invites? Home affairs or the council? Do we need to confirm attendance?
The local council sent the invite for my wife last year.

Reactions: Aburayan

· Registered
7,406 Posts
I know a friend in Sydney, got his invite by email from home affairs while I heard from some other guys receiving the invite by mail from the council. I am so confused. I guess I need to wait and see
That is also possible. I had my ceremony in a department office, 10 years ago, rather than a council ceremony, and the department would have done my invite.

But, normally the council do them.

Home affairs wording is:

Citizenship ceremonies are usually organised by local government councils. Councils are the arm of government closest to new citizens and the communities to which they belong.

Which council you will attend is determined by your current residential address. You cannot choose where and when to attend your ceremony.

You will be invited to attend your ceremony about four weeks before the event. You will receive a letter of invitation from either your local council or the Department of Home Affairs.

Reactions: Aburayan

· Registered
24 Posts
Got this reply from DHA, looks like we will not be invited for 26 Jan ceremony:-

Please rest assure that Department of Home Affairs and your local council work in close partnership to provide you with the timeliest ceremony possible.

Due to the high number of clients requiring ceremonies throughout South Australia and the level of planning required by your local council, waiting periods can differ depending on your location.

An indicative waiting period for a ceremony is usually about 3 months, however it can be up to 6 months from the date of approval, depending on availability of ceremony spaces in your local Council area. You will be contacted by email at the email address provided on your application once allocated to a ceremony. We thank you for your patience.

In order to be fair, clients are generally allocated to ceremonies based on the date they were approved. If a client believes their circumstances warrant an earlier ceremony they may make a request in writing. Urgent ceremonies are only arranged in very limited circumstances where the client’s circumstances are genuinely compelling and compassionate.

The Australian Citizenship Ceremonies Code states:

Special purpose ceremonies may only be arranged when a candidate requires urgent conferral of Australian citizenship or in special circumstances, for example, where a candidate has a disability preventing their attendance at a public ceremony.

· Registered
1 Posts
This is my timeline - based in Brisbane.

Applied 11th of August 2022
Changed address lodged (BNE to BNE address) on ImmiGov 08 January 2023
Invitation to Citizenship Interview and test 11 January 2023 with an appointment 20 February 2023
Changed it to 12 January 2023

Test passed and was approved on 12 January 2023.

Just waiting for the ceremony invite now.
Unlikely to make it for the Australia Day ceremony I think.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, hopefully someone can answer my question as I'm confused about the process.

As of now in early 2023, after you apply for citizenship, how long/what is the timeline from application date to when you have your interview and sit the citizenship test? Is it relatively quick or are we talking a wait time upwards of a few months?

Thanks.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, hopefully someone can answer my question as I'm confused about the process.

As of now in early 2023, after you apply for citizenship, how long/what is the timeline from application date to when you have your interview and sit the citizenship test? Is it relatively quick or are we talking a wait time upwards of a few months?

Thanks.
It really depends on which city you live in. I live in the Brisbane City Council area and here is my timeline:

Application lodged on: 1 July 2022
Appointment letter received on: 14 Nov 2022
Citizenship test and interview: 16 Nov 2022
Approval date: 18 Jan 2023
*The officer required me to apply for police clearance from my home country, which took time and therefore my application wasn't approved until the certificate was sent to the DHA office in Brisbane.

You may go to this website and look up the data.

· Registered
2 Posts
It really depends on which city you live in. I live in the Brisbane City Council area and here is my timeline:

Application lodged on: 1 July 2022
Appointment letter received on: 14 Nov 2022
Citizenship test and interview: 16 Nov 2022
Approval date: 18 Jan 2023
*The officer required me to apply for police clearance from my home country, which took time and therefore my application wasn't approved until the certificate was sent to the DHA office in Brisbane.

You may go to this website and look up the data.

Thank you for the information. That website is helpful!

· Registered
7,406 Posts
Does anyone whose applications have been approved receive any invitation letter to any citizenship ceremonies in the Brisbane City Council area in 2023? I'm just curious.
In case it is of interest:
As at 20 January 2023, these figures show the numbers of Australian Citizenship applications that have been approved and are waiting for their Ceremony, at the major ceremony centres, as at 20 January 2023.

Brisbane City Council, QLD Citizenship Ceremony Wait Times.
  • 1853 approved applicants.
  • 64% wait time under 3 months.
  • 21% wait time 3 to 6 months.
  • 14% wait time over 6 months.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
Can someone please tell me how do I find the questions for citizens ship test .
Thanks
You can get the booklet that has all the information for the answers, and has some sample questions, at:

There is no way of knowing which questions you will be asked. So you need to review that booklet.

There are a few websites with more practice tests. I'll try to locate the one that my wife used.

· Registered
7,406 Posts
201 - 218 of 218 Posts