Australia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I applied on 26th April 2022 and no update yet, application still in Received status. Did your application status change after the first contact ?

Are you in Adelaide, if yes which Council ?
On MyImmiTracker.com, I did see a person who applied on 27 June 2022 in Adelaide received the appointment letter on 1 Sept. I reckon you'll get one soon.
Citizenship Processing Tracker (myimmitracker.com)

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it is a great tracker

I am not sure why they pick random files. I can see some people who applied in June and July have gone through tests as well
I'm not sure about that either. I thought once the applicants provide all the required documents, the case officers will stick to the standard procedures and go through the review and background check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Cohen, I hope so, but looking at the immitracker nothing has been moved or touched since last year. very very slow progress comparing to the other states
I know. It's frustrating, isn't it?

One way to know more about the information related to citizenship application is the Right to Know website,set up under the Freedom of Information Act. You can browse a lot of requests like this (Count of people invited for Citizenship ceremony in June & July 2022 from Wyndham Council - VIC - a Freedom of Information request to Department of Home Affairs - Right to Know). However, to make a request to the Department of Home Affairs, there must be some criteria and you have to pay.

There is another source of information related to how the government process citizenship applications. There is a report on the efficiency of the processing of citizenship applications, which was submitted by the Australian National Audit Office to Parliament in 2019. (Full report is here: Efficiency of the Processing of Applications for Citizenship by Conferral | Australian National Audit Office (anao.gov.au)). Don't know whether there are any changes, but we may know a bit about how the Department of Home Affairs processes the citizenship applications, and why it's so slow compared with the past.

They introduced 'integrity screening' under the Liberal-National coalition government. As far as we know, there is a 'Citizenship Case Prioritisation Tool', which aims to identify any risk 'flags' that needed to be looked into. In addition to police checks, there is also a Movement Alert List check, but it's mainly a list of people the government identified as 'risk' to the country because they have serious criminal records, debts owed to the government and other problems. So they need to jump through more hoops than before. The audit report found that there are non-complex cases but Home Affairs simply unreasonably delay the processing. After all, the checks are pretty much automated, and it shouldn't be a valid reason to slow things down.

I guess most likely it's because they are short-staffed after COVID but still have a lot of cases to process (pretty much the same everywhere in Australia). Vic is more populated than other states such as WA so I'm not surprised by the delay.

Hope you'll get the invite soon. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know. It's frustrating, isn't it?

One way to know more about the information related to citizenship application is the Right to Know website,set up under the Freedom of Information Act. You can browse a lot of requests like this (Count of people invited for Citizenship ceremony in June & July 2022 from Wyndham Council - VIC - a Freedom of Information request to Department of Home Affairs - Right to Know). However, to make a request to the Department of Home Affairs, there must be some criteria and you have to pay.

There is another source of information related to how the government process citizenship applications. There is a report on the efficiency of the processing of citizenship applications, which was submitted by the Australian National Audit Office to Parliament in 2019. (Full report is here: Efficiency of the Processing of Applications for Citizenship by Conferral | Australian National Audit Office (anao.gov.au)). Don't know whether there are any changes, but we may know a bit about how the Department of Home Affairs processes the citizenship applications, and why it's so slow compared with the past.

They introduced 'integrity screening' under the Liberal-National coalition government. As far as we know, there is a 'Citizenship Case Prioritisation Tool', which aims to identify any risk 'flags' that needed to be looked into. In addition to police checks, there is also a Movement Alert List check, but it's mainly a list of people the government identified as 'risk' to the country because they have serious criminal records, debts owed to the government and other problems. So they need to jump through more hoops than before. The audit report found that there are non-complex cases but Home Affairs simply unreasonably delay the processing. After all, the checks are pretty much automated, and it shouldn't be a valid reason to slow things down.

I guess most likely it's because they are short-staffed after COVID but still have a lot of cases to process (pretty much the same everywhere in Australia). Vic is more populated than other states such as WA so I'm not surprised by the delay.

Hope you'll get the invite soon. Fingers crossed!
Thank you Cohen for your comprehensive information and knowledge, very helpful. I hope things move faster for everyone as I read earlier today that they have hired over 150 additional staff to clear the backlogs and to stop using COVID as an excuse for everything. People lives are depending on their decisions especially when there is no communications or updates.

Thank you for all the updates and good luck to everyone waiting

·
Registered
49 Posts
I applied for my Citizenship on June 14th of this year and I have my interview next week. I'm just wondering the following: If I pass the test (fingers crossed) & I get approved.. Can I then travel internationally? Or do I have to wait until after the ceremony? Looking at heading back to the UK for Christmas this year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I applied for my Citizenship on June 14th of this year and I have my interview next week. I'm just wondering the following: If I pass the test (fingers crossed) & I get approved.. Can I then travel internationally? Or do I have to wait until after the ceremony? Looking at heading back to the UK for Christmas this year.
You could travel, just need to tell them the date during your interview..

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow, that was quick
do you mind sharing the details like which state/council ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wife and I applied on 4/11/21
I got my interview notification on 29/8/22 for test on 14/9/22
Test completed on 14/9/22 at 1:20 pm
Application status changed to approve and email of approval received on 14/9/22 at 4:00pm
Wife got her interview notification early August and preponed her test for 16/9/22.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any update on your citizenship application ?
my wife gave her interview/test last week and her status is still showing as received. Not sure why do they hold some applicants.
Finally approved!
I was found guilty for aggressive assault my ex-husband.
However, there was no strong evidences from his side, just based on beyond reasonable doubt.
I didn't assault him, he made it up.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts