Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So... I'm Australian and I've been living abroad for 10 years. I married in 2008 to a Syrian man and since had 4 children. All children have dual citizenship. We applied 18 months ago for my husbands partner visa. He was granted a couple days ago, permanent residency. From what I understand, once his completed four years with the PR, it's ideal to apply for citizenship. We live abroad (not in Syria) and he has a very successful business here and our children are all in school so it's not like we can pickup and move to Australia now. We are planning to buy a property in australia so we can have our home for when we travel there every few months. So my query is, can he apply for his citizenship if we are in and out of the country?
I read somewhere that your spouse is australian and you have PR. From the time that you are granted PR, your time spent offshore can be calculated as if you were onshore, as long as you have close connection with Australia.
I'm so confused. Please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Becoming an Australian citizen is an important step in your migration story. You are choosing to make an ongoing commitment to Australia and all that Australia stands for.

That seems to indicate the person should be in Australia.

Then there is this bit in the residency requirement:
"the person was present in Australia for the period of 4 years immediately before the day the person made the application"
Australian Citizenship Act 2007 - Section 22

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I began on PR in Australia, but almost lost it as I was out of the country for too long.

I very nearly had to re-apply for PR again. The only way to retain PR is, it seems, to spend enough time in Australia, as immigration determines, so that you are actually a Permanent Resident of Australia. Otherwise, after a certain time, they will deem you are not. I think the 5 year PR reduces to just 3 months out of the country at a time eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I believe the exceptions to the residency requirement are fairly limited. If your husband isn't moving to Australia any time soon, he may need to simply wait until after he does to consider citizenship.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It doesn't sound like your husband will meet the residence requirement. As me tip end, the exceptions to this are very limited...include spouses of Australian Defense Force personnel posted overseas (not deployed but posted ),spouse of an australian embassy worker....I.e. Married to government officials but based overseas....they are the exceptions to this ruling. Your husband will need to live here for some time before he gains citizenship

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.