Australia Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My wife is due to apply for citizenship but when using the residency calculator it shows that she has to wait for nearly a year before applying for citizenship. The reason is that since we got engaged she was working overseas and only visited Australia for short period of time. I've read on the immi website that if partners are in continuous relationship (Close and continuing association with Australia) they can get exemption and apply for citizenship. Wondering how to submit the evidence since the option is not available on the online portal. Thanks heaps.
PS: She got her residency on March 2020 and first arrived in Australia in April 2017

I've found the info below which I'm not quite sure about:

Ministerial discretion--spouse, de facto partner or surviving spouse or de facto partner of Australian citizen
(9) If the person is the spouse, de facto partner or surviving spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen at the time the person made the application, the Minister may treat a period as one in which the person was present in Australia as a permanent resident if:
(a) the person was a spouse or de facto partner of that Australian citizen during that period; and
(b) the person was not present in Australia during that period; and
(c) the person was a permanent resident during that period; and
(d) the Minister is satisfied that the person had a close and continuing association with Australia during that period.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts