Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My partner and I have a few questions that we need answered before we logde our 820/801 visa application. We fall into the category of de-facto relationship.

We have been living together for 6 months now and we intend to lodge our visa application next year, at around this time. We have been living together in my partner's family home.

So, all this being said, here are the questions we would like answered:

1-Do you get one upload box for each section or do you get a few upload boxes for each section? Shall we separate the evidence or shall we make one big pdf file?

2-How long does a National Australian Police check take?

3-Has anyone included photos in their partner visa application? What types of photos did you include and which section did you place them in?

4-Can photos be used as evidence for joint sporting/cultural/social activites part of the application?

5-How do you submit photos in the application? For example: all on a single page of a pdf document?

6-How much time before the applicant's visa end date should be left before applying to a partner visa? one month?

7-What type of evidence did you include to prove joint activities & going out together? We have movie/show tickets and receipts from restaurants but would they accept this type of evidence? What I mean is; these tickets and reciepts don't specify our names on them, so would they be accepted?

8-Should we include descriptions with the evidence we provide? For example: "This photo shows my partner, my partner's family and I at a Christmas Celebration in 2017", "Here are our individual bank statements for the year of 2018 which show we reside at the same address", etc.

9-What type of evidence can be used to prove a de-facto relationship? We have a relationship registration certificate already but is there any other types of evidence that would be accepted?

10-How long should our personal statements about our relationship be?
A single page or more?

11-How long should our household statement be? Do we need a statement for each of us or just one in total?

12-What evidence should we provide to prove our living arrangements? What is the difference between this and household bills etc?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Your lay out is good, you will get a few reply's to all the questions, i'll fill in any blanks if required. Don't expect to wait to long for reply's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

My partner and I have a few questions that we need answered before we logde our 820/801 visa application. We fall into the category of de-facto relationship.

We have been living together for 6 months now and we intend to lodge our visa application next year, at around this time. We have been living together in my partner's family home.

1-Do you get one upload box for each section or do you get a few upload boxes for each section? Shall we separate the evidence or shall we make one big pdf file?
You can upload a maximum of 60 files. I personally made one big pdf file for each criteria (split up the PDF's due to the size) and had a content page.

From the AFP website:

The current processing time for a routine National Police Check is approximately 15 working days from the date it is received by Criminal Records. Please be aware that processing times for National Police Checks may vary as the AFP may need to seek information from other police jurisdictions.

3-Has anyone included photos in their partner visa application? What types of photos did you include and which section did you place them in?
I included photos of my friends and family with my partner and photos of us travelling. I put the photos as part of the social aspect.

4-Can photos be used as evidence for joint sporting/cultural/social activites part of the application?
I did use some photos but you may want some written evidence (i.e. gym memberships, sporting memberships etc.).

5-How do you submit photos in the application? For example: all on a single page of a pdf document?
Put the photos in word and save it as a PDF.

6-How much time before the applicant's visa end date should be left before applying to a partner visa? one month?
Don't leave it to the last minute as there may be website outages - we applied about a few weeks before my partner's visa expired.

7-What type of evidence did you include to prove joint activities & going out together? We have movie/show tickets and receipts from restaurants but would they accept this type of evidence? What I mean is; these tickets and reciepts don't specify our names on them, so would they be accepted?
I personally have a cinema membership (cineplex) and buy my tickets online, so I showed the list of movies we went to see and also referenced to the payment of the tickets in our bank statements. I also included concert tickets.

8-Should we include descriptions with the evidence we provide? For example: "This photo shows my partner, my partner's family and I at a Christmas Celebration in 2017", "Here are our individual bank statements for the year of 2018 which show we reside at the same address", etc.
I personally did. I included a short description under each photo and highlighted our address on letters/bank statements.

9-What type of evidence can be used to prove a de-facto relationship? We have a relationship registration certificate already but is there any other types of evidence that would be accepted?
All your evidence combined is to prove a de-facto relationship.

A single page or more?
This is up to you. I personally wrote about 4 pages (typed) whereas my partner (the applicant) only wrote 2 pages (typed).

11-How long should our household statement be? Do we need a statement for each of us or just one in total?
We did a joint statement for each aspect.

Please note, these answers are based on how we prepared my partner's application.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi all,

A single page or more?

12-What evidence should we provide to prove our living arrangements? What is the difference between this and household bills etc?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!
I'll reply to this once I'm at my desk. Too hard to type on my mobile.

Reactions: bariscan90 and ampk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I will answer this as best as I can and try to add to winteryskys points with some of the things we did. You've been given some good advice by winteryskys, but I will still give my 2 cents.

Hi all,

As winteryskys said, you have 60 uploads for the applicant and 60 uploads for the sponsor. Where you put them is up to you. I've read that where you upload it doesn't matter so much as the CO who will assesses your application will get it regardless. Just be sure to clearly label your files. For example, Address, Evidence Of, "applicant_address_evidence_of.pdf" and "sponsor_address_evidence_of". It's pretty straight forward in that sense.

winteryskys gave you the quoted text from the AFP website, I will share our personal experience with you. As we are both in Canada, my wife had the certificate posted to her mom's in Australia, it took about 6 days total.

Photos can tell the story pretty clearly, so yes, include photos. Having said that, don't overdue it. Think of it like an audit, when asked a question in an audit you supply the auditor with an answer to their question. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't want to answer a question that leaves room for another question.

As winteryskys said, yes, you can use photos for those. We did. For the social aspects of the relationship we split that into four separate categories of it's own. Social aspects - joint travel, social aspects - family events, social aspects - joint memberships, social aspects - events. That may seem redundant (doing it 4 times, essentially) but the reason we did this was because a) with all the files in one PDF we completely overshot the 5MB file size. b) Some of our more crucial evidence laid within this category and we didn't want a case officer to see this wall of text and images and miss something that we felt was crucial to our application.

As for us, we used photos from our international travel together to the US, Mexico and Australia. Our tickets to said trips and photos with family and friends. Having said that, you don't need 25 photos for each. For each area we traveled to we probably included 3-4 pictures of each in a collage.

Just like winteryskys said, you put them in a word doc, convert to PDF and there you go. One thing I will say in regards to how we did it was for every upload there was a table of contents that outlined what our CO would see. So there would be a small description in there, then at the top of the photo we would put that text from the TOC in there. For example - Joint travel to Australia, applicant and sponsor with sponsor's mom and brother. That text would go over the picture.

Don't leave it to the last minute. We thought we were ready to apply in August, then September, October and so on. We didn't lodge ours until February. Don't under estimate the amount of time that goes into this, but also don't let it control you and stress you out.

Refer to what I said about the social aspects. We put ours in chronologically for each. For example, we went to Mexico together with some of my family. In that we put our plane tickets, under that there was 3-4 pictures of us on the holiday itself. We did that for each.

Yes. Be brief, be clear and make sure it's obvious. Like I said, we used a table of contents and if the evidence we were presenting was called "Applicant and Sponsor at Dreamworld with sponsors mother" then that's the description that went over top of the photo.

One of the more crucial things I learned from these forums while preparing our application was to not overload your CO. Don't repeat evidence (if you can help it) and you will have things that are evidence that you never thought would be evidence. To prove that we were a de facto couple we used our lease agreements, bank statements (three of them, one from the opening account, one six months after and a recent one, it established a timeline of how long we had the account for and showed our names and address on it.) Your relationship certificate is a good start, try to find anything addressed to you both or even individually.

A single page or more?
winteryskys said it best. It's different for everyone. I rambled a little so mine was 3 pages. My wife was to the point and was just over a page long. Make sure you each do your own statement, it's in your own words and man, make sure that it lines up. Imagine the egg on your face when you say one date for a significant event and your partner, describing the same event uses a different date?

We did the same thing that winteryskys did. We did joint statements for damn near everything, with the exception of the history and development of our relationship which was individual statements. As I've said, each of our evidence groups started with a TOC, the first item was always a joint statement detailing what was in the section, why that was in that section and what it meant. Clear, concise and to the point. You want to give your CO all the evidence up front and not leave room for questions about your evidence.

A statement on the nature of your household will cover that. Who does what, who pays for what, how you emotionally support one another etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi guys, I don't want to barge in on OP's thread but I have a question pertaining to their last one:

Like winteryskys I wrote a statement for each aspect of my partner and I's household for the 820. However, for the 801 I only answered the 801 applicant stat dec questions online in the 801 application (as per recommendation of the immigration website). I've seen a few people who've noted that they answered these questions online and in the stat dec (used for paper applications). Are there any members on here who wrote additional stat decs for the 801? I already have physical evidence for each section, and with 34 documents uploaded I don't want to pack my attachments section too tightly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The online boxes are the statement. There's no need to do an extra one on top of that.
That's how I've been viewing it, but you probably know how it is with seeing people who do something extra on here and then second guessing oneself!

Thanks for reassuring me though :)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts

** Is better to ask before applications

** By this time the 12 month relationship requirement will be well and truly meet, not to mention heaps of time to gather good evidence.

1- Covered by others.

2- Covered by others.

3- Covered by others.

4- Covered by others.

5- Covered by others.

6- Covered by others.

7- Covered by others.

8- Covered by others.

** Where was the relationship registered?

10- Covered by others.

11- Covered by others.

12- Covered by others.

** The 820 is an onshore application, so you need to be in Australia on a valid visa with out the "No Further Stay" condition.

There may by the time you plan to apply, be changes to the sponsors requirement such as needing to be pre-approved that you need to keep in mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@winteryskys
Thank you for your help winteryskys! We really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience. You have given us a great response!

We feel much more comfortable about our application now in terms of the evidence we need to provide. One of the main things we were unsure about was the use of photos for evidence but after reading your answer we feel greatly reassurred.

Thanks again

@Eh?

Thank you for your help Eh?! You have given us such a great response and we couldn't be more greatful.

It has been very reassuring to hear your experience and advice. To tell you the truth it has felt overwhelming looking at all at evidence we need to gather, and at the time we need to put into this, but as you said we will try to not let it control us and stress us out. We have already started putting our evidence together in a sectioned folder.

Thanks again Eh?

We will use all the advice you have given us.

@ampk

Thank you for your help ampk!

To answer your question for point 9, our relationship was registered with Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria.

For point 12, yes I will still be in Australia at this time next year and my current visa doesn't have the "no further stay" condition.

Thank you especially for letting us know about the possible changes to the sponsorship requirements. We want to be fully prepared before we lodge our application so we will seriously keep this in mind and check for any changes to the requirements as the year progresses.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Was just asking to see if a cheaper option may be available, but I only suspect that on that visa you will lack some relevant work experience.

But I know all most nothing about skilled work visas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.